woman with highlight on her cheek
woman with highlight on her cheek
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Dolores Huerta: An Inspirational Womxn of Color that your History Class Left Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

“Every moment is an organizing opportunity, every person a potential activist, every minute a chance to change the world.” 

post it wall of love
Kyle Glenn
March has been declared annually as Womxn’s History Month nationwide. According to the Smithsonian Magazine, “Approximately 1 woman for every 3 men—are mentioned in the standards in place as of 2017.” Although having a month dedicated to showcasing the incredible contributions of womxn is great, it is clear to see that history books need the other 11 months of the year in order to truly appreciate and acknowledge the incredible advancements that have come from womxn. The purpose of Womxn’s History Month is to illuminate and remember the contributions of visionary womxn, anticipating the day where it is unimaginable to teach history without them. By commemorating Womxn’s History Month, it is essential to look at those who are not usually given the spotlight they deserve.

Women protesting in the Women\'s March on Washington
Vlad Tchompalov, via Unsplash
As a college student, I can admit too that I have been affected directly by the lack of recognition Dolores Huerta has received. As a Latina, I grew up learning about the importance of the Workers Rights Movement but even though Huerta worked as an equal along Cesar Chavez, there are many instances where her presence is covered up as just being an assistant to the movement. The erasure of Huerta throughout history books has allowed many Latinas, like I, to not clearly understand the impact that Dolores Huerta had on the lives of many. Although many have felt the impact of her work, it is clear to see that she has not gotten the recognition she deserves. 

Dolores Huerta is just one out of many notable womxn who has broken down both gender and racial barriers to make history. Although Dolores Huerta has had a significant impact on the lives of many, she is an impactful voice that has been taken for granted and not recognized as she should be. If there were a womxn who could be described as a social justice activist of all trades, it would be Dolores Huerta. Although Huerta worked as an equal to Cesar Chavez due to being a co-founder of the National Farmworkers Association, we don’t find her name recognized in most history books. Dolores Huerta was the womxn who coined the motto of the United Farm Workers, “iSi Se Puede!”; an iconic rallying cry that allowed many farmworkers to surpass hardships and protest non-violently for their rights. The Dolores Huerta Foundation has used its drive and platform to advocate for the rights of immigrants, womxn and those in the LGBTQ+ community. Even as an 89-year-old, Dolores Huerta persists in advocating on several social issues pertaining to immigration, farmers, and the rights of womxn and Latinos. So, remind me again why she was not in our history books?

Even though it might be easier to allow the deletion of Womxn’s History to imprison our thoughts and deprive us of having a voice, we all need to resist collectively to allow influential womxn to be heard as they should be. As a womxn of color, it is disheartening to see that such an impactful womxn like Dolores Huerta is not getting the recognition she is entitled to; this only shows that we need to continue fighting for our given right to be written into history. Although the erasure of womxn is an issue that has stemmed from extremely deep roots, it is essential to understand that sharing these stories unitedly is the first step to progress. Living in a society where womxn are shown to feel like there is no place for us when it comes to being at the head of social movements is only a catalyst given to us to bring light to the struggles and great accomplishments of womxn in history. Womxn have aided in building history for the better, it is now time that we honor and appreciate the countless contributions they have made. 

Nancy is a fourth-year Communication and Political Science- Public Service Double Major at the University of California, Davis. She enjoys spending time with family, friends and her dog named Luna. Her experience of growing up in a Mexican household in Silicon Valley inspired her to be a curious leader and prompted her passion for technology, public service, and social impact. She strives to utilize her project management and communication skillsets to work with cross-functional teams and lead social change projects. She is currently seeking employment opportunities within technology.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!