This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
After some rough midterms and brutal essays, my roommates and I decided it was high time to treat ourselves to a girl’s night in. We staked out Saturday for our night of indulgence and promptly cleared our calendars of any distractions. We debated over several different activities and then decided on a schedule for the evening.

First, we donned our comfiest pajamas and coziest slippers and congregated in the living room.  We had decided on doing several different beauty treatments: warming and cooling face masks, a hair mask, and some good old-fashioned manicures.

The hair masks, which required the longest setting time, were first on the agenda. You can make hair masks out of a lot of different, natural ingredients, but for this beauty treatment we turned to an item that’s most likely in all of your fridges right now: mayonnaise.  Full of fat and oils, mayonnaise is great for hydrating your thirsty locks. We bowed our heads over the sink one by one and helped each other slather our hair with mayonnaise, using almost an entire jar per person. Then we saran wrapped our heads to seal in the moisture and let it set for two hours.

Next, we started our face masks. The first one was a mixture of cooked oatmeal, very ripe avocado, and honey. We applied a heavy coat of the mask to our faces, laid down, and set some freshly cut cucumbers on our tired eyes. While resting we listened to some soothing music from Iron and Wine and mused about how we should treat ourselves more often.

After thirty minutes of relaxation, we convinced ourselves to get up and wash off mask number one. My skin felt clean and fresh and my hair felt thoroughly soaked with mayonnaise. After a few minutes of breather time for our skin, we headed straight for mask number two: a concoction of mashed banana, sour cream, and honey. We applied this cooling mixture and then settled into the couch, sans cucumber, for an indulgent session with Charlie’s Angels.

While watching Dillon, Alex, and Natalie kick some major booty, we applied gleaming coats of enamel to our freshly buffed nails until our facemasks had done their job.  We washed out our facemasks and mayonnaise hair out at the same time and emerged from our bathrooms with glowing skin and shiny hair. Although it was only a night off from studying, it was wonderful to stop thinking about essays for a few hours and simply focus on relaxing. So take a night off, collegiettesTM, and treat yourself!

Jessica is currently studying Graphic Design and Psychology at UC Davis. She hopes to one day move to New York and work for a fashion or fitness magazine. When she is not dreaming about her life in New York, she is either running, watching shows on hulu, socializing or baking cupcakes. She loves anything that will make her laugh, sunny days  and everything purple!