DIY Bleached Shirts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Dairy Science is probably the best class I’ve taken at UC Davis, but unfortunately a few of my shirts ended up spotted with bleach after sterilizing the nursing bottles for the baby calves (totally worth it). I was about to toss the shirts when I realized that they could still be salvaged, why not just bleach them more? I consulted some online sources, did some experimental designs, and ended up with some great, original shirts!

Here’s how to make your very own bleached shirts:

1. Use any sturdy tape (duct, scotch, electrical) to create a design on a dark or brightly colored shirt. Remember that what ever design you make with the tape, the fabric underneath will remain the original color of the shirt.
  2. Make a mixture of 75% bleach and 25% water in a plastic spray bottle that has adjustable spray settings.
  3. Place your shirt outside, preferably on grass, and spray your shirt from about 1 foot away for even coverage. If you want an even speckling, leave the setting on a wide spray, but if you want more concentrated dripping, change the setting to a more central stream.
  4. Let dry completely before washing with other garments.

I also tried using stencils to create a more intricate design, in this case an elephant, but it was difficult to keep the bleach inside the stencil design. After bleaching, I went back and retraced the stencil to make the image clearer.

So collegiettes, if in your day to day life a little bleach happens, don’t freak, instead look at as an opportunity to express your creativity. Craft on!

Edited by: Amy Coyle

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.