DIY: Affordable, All Natural Skin Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Ladies are always looking for ways to rejuvenate their skin from all of the hits it receives during day-to-day life. A girl’s skin is important, and needs to be treated as such with high quality products. However, this can become a bit of a predicament for many of us, as facial products can be quite expensive and many products contain chemicals and preservatives that aren’t good for the skin. For those of you collegiettes in skin-related binds, do not worry. This article will teach you how to create a few, great DIY all natural masks, cleansers, moisturizers, and toners that are affordable and easy to create in your own kitchen. 

Oatmeal Cleanser 

Oatmeal is my holy grail to clearer skin. It has the ability to relieve itchiness, redness, dryness, and minor irritations. This cleanser will gently remove dirt, leaving skin feeling smoother. After using this cleanser, your skin will look brighter and feel noticeably better. Just a heads up: this mask can get a little messy, so make sure to do it over a sink.
Ingredients: Oatmeal, Water

How to:

1. Take a palm full of oatmeal and clench it together in your hand, making sure it is tightly packed.
  2. Run lukewarm water over your hand for about 10 seconds, or until you feel the water slightly going through the gaps between your fist.
  3. Open your fist and drizzle a few drops of water on the oatmeal so that it becomes saturated and soft to the touch.
  4. Take a small bit of the oatmeal and massage it in a circular motion onto your face. Do this for your whole face for 1-2 minutes.
  5. Rinse face with lukewarm water.  

Yogurt Mask 

Plain yogurt is not only edible, but also great for your skin. Yogurt contains lactic acid that helps smooth rough and dry skin, it is also known to prevent aging. Yogurt can also fight acne because it has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Beyond that, yogurt contains zinc which is common in helping to heal acne blemishes.
Ingredients: Plain, All-Natural Yogurt (For the best results, make sure to choose one with active, live cultures)

How To:

1. Take two or three tablespoons of plain yogurt and apply generously to face. Avoid eye and mouth area.
  2. Let set for 10-20 minutes.
  3. Rinse away with lukewarm water. 

Egg for Mask and Moisturizer 

Starting off your mornings with eggs is not only good for your nourishing your body, but also for livening your skin. Eggs contain vitamin A, which heals acne scarring. It also contains vitamin B3, which increases circulation which and aids in making skin feel healthier. In addition, eggs contain zinc which boosts the immune system. After this mask, your skin is sure to feel firmer and brighter.
Ingredients: 1 Egg

How To:

1. Crack the egg and separate the whites from the yolk into two different bowls.
  2. With a fork, beat the whites until frothy.
  3. On a clean face, apply the whites to the face and neck while avoiding the eye area.
  4. Wait for it to dry (about 20 minutes). Hint: You’ll know it is dry when you cannot smile.
  5. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
  6. Pierce the yolk with a fork and evenly apply as a natural moisturizer all over face.
  7. Let it dry and try the “smile test”.
  8. Rinse off with lukewarm water. 

Apple Cider Vinegar & Honey Mask and Toner 

Using vinegar as a skin toner and mask dates back to the time of Helen of Troy. What makes this mask and toner work? Apple cider is filled with alpha hydroxyl and amino acids that gently dissolve dead skin. Sugar is a natural exfoliant that helps break up scar tissues, unclogs pores, and reduces the appearance of large pores. Honey is a natural acne treatment that helps the skin retain moisture, functions as an anti-inflammatory, and also reduces redness and swelling of the skin. Green tea detoxifies the skin. Use this mask and toner 1-2 times a week for two weeks and you will see (and feel) the difference in your skin.
(Caution: Do not use ordinary vinegar)
Ingredients: Apple Cider Vinegar, Sugar, Honey, Cooled Green Tea

How to:
Mask

1. In a bowl, combine and stir one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, two teaspoons of cooled green tea, and five teaspoons of sugar.
  2. Add one teaspoon of honey and stir.
  3. Add two more teaspoons of sugar and stir.
  4. Make sure to cleanse face beforehand. Use an exfoliating pad and evenly distribute mask onto face.
  5. Massage 2-5 minutes with finger tips
  6. After 10 minutes, gently wash away with lukewarm water. 

Toner

1. Combine in a small jar: One tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with two tablespoons of green tea. (Add tea tree or olive oil for moisture)
  2. Apply onto an exfoliating pad and evenly distribute onto face. 

Sources: 
http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/2010/05/18/oats-whats-all-the-barking-about/ 

www.webmd.com 

www.apartmenttherapy.com  

www.tomatocasual.com

University student, fashion enthusiast, avid writer, barista, and foodie who also thoroughly enjoys hiking, mountain biking, and other such things. I am set on involving myself in everything I love.