Deanna Seil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Edited by: Amy Coyle

Name: Deanna Seil
Year: 3rd
Major: Environmental Sciences and Management
Minor: Spanish

Deanna Seil, an Environmental Sciences & Management major in her third year at Davis, began a club over summer whose motto alone draws students in: “Anything you want to do, we can do.” Who wouldn’t want to be a part of a club with a slogan like that?

Deanna established The Frontier Adventure Club (FAC) to provide a network for all of Davis’ outdoor-sy adventurers to communicate. “It’s a way for like-minded people with similar interests to get together,” Seil says. During their weekly meetings, they plan hiking excursions, backpacking over-nighters, cabin trips, and social events –such as a paint party thrown a few weeks ago, which doubled as a fundraiser for the club. 

So, how did Deanna actually get this idea? This summer, she interned for a grad student at Plumas National Park, tracking and monitoring endemic plant species (like we said, she’s legit). The grad student planted the idea in Deanna when she expressed her surprise at the lack of an all-encompassing adventure club at Davis. And just like that, Deanna established the club over summer, began planning events, and now the club has already crossed multiple trips, fundraisers, and adventures off their calendar.

Even when she’s not busy running the adventure club, Deanna remains active within the Davis community. On Saturdays, you can spot her selling sweets at a Farmer’s Market booth, and during the week she conducts Unitrans buses, and works at a plant science lab. How does she do it all? Well, besides being a talented multi-tasker, she gets help from Rachel Sabes, who organized Challah for Hunger at the UCD campus, and is the VP of the Frontier Adventures Club. 

Deanna’s dream job is to work in South America to improve thelocals’ lives by enriching the environment. Her impressive “to-do” list, names harrowing goals like creating opportunity in impoverished communities, improving the efficiency of man-made resources, and basically saving the world. Despite the challenges, we have no doubt she’ll accomplish it all.

Check out the Frontiers Adventure Club (FAC) on facebook to see how you can join them on their next ski trip, day hike, back packing excursion… or whatever adventure they choose!

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.