you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It’s here already. Week 10 has come to an end, and finals week is here. I always find that once finals week rolls around I am immediately overcome with stress and even slight relief knowing that the quarter is almost over. And this year, I couldn’t be more relieved that fall quarter is coming to an end, regardless of the fact that the intensity and pressure to finish strong is overwhelming. 

This year I am decided to abandon my previous study tactics where I wait until the weekend before finals week to catch up on all the content from each of my classes. I realized that, although everyone else is spending their time cramming until 4AM and drinking four Yerba Mate teas a day, does not mean that those are the same strategies I should be employing this year. Here is a list of tips I have comprised for everyone to test out while preparing for finals this year. It is far from a comprehensive list, but it is a step in the right direction towards crushing cram culture and practicing self-care during finals. 

1. Sleep

I have found that waking up earlier in the morning, and studying throughout the day is the best way to tackle large amounts of information. Rest is essential to doing well on exams. 

2. Take Breaks

Our brains need breaks, and attempting to study for six hours straight is neither a healthy nor a productive way to retain information. 

3. Eat three meals a day

It is very tempting to skip meals in order to study, but your brain NEEDS food to function — don’t forget that!

4. Drink more water and less caffeine

It’s understandable that a little caffeine is necessary for an intense study sesh, but your body will thank you if you drink more water than caffeine throughout the day. 

Madi is currently a fourth-year student at UC Davis majoring in English and Poltical Science. She is currently a marketing intern for the Mondavi Center at UC Davis. Her favorite hobbies are reading, making Spotify playlists, and grabbing lattes with her girls! 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!