Crown Downtown: The Sacramento Kings Saga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As I stood on the court at the brand new Golden 1 Center in Sacramento, I couldn’t help but think back to just a short while ago, when the existence of the building seemed nearly impossible. The Sacramento Kings, the city’s only professional sports franchise, were so close to leaving. Relocation to Seattle just had to be approved by the NBA owners and the relocation committee, something that was usually a formality. In fact, a reasonable request for relocation had never been rejected in the history of the league. It seemed to be only a matter of time, and for Kings fans like myself, that was a tragedy. 

There was a bittersweet taste in the mouths of both residents and city officials, as the failure to fund and build a new arena over the past ten years was now hanging over all of our heads. This was one of the main points in driving the conversation to move the Kings away. It is a problem that many other NBA cities have and continue to face: build a new arena, or else. NBA teams that privately fund arenas do not have as difficult of a time as those that require a publicly-funded component from the city and its residents. Many taxpayers, especially in a struggling economy, often vote against such measures that require a tax or bond of any kind. 

What I would ask citizens to consider is: isn’t this a wise investment of your taxpayer dollars? It’s something that would directly benefit everyone who lives in the region, not to mention the countless economic benefits it provides for local business owners. Taxpayer money should be put towards building sports and entertainment complexes because it is an investment in the future, for current residents and their children and grandchildren for years to come. Sports arenas provide revitalization for underperforming downtown areas, boost economic development with job creation and business growth, and stimulate civic pride. 

Mayor Kevin Johnson described the saga best when relating it to a simple basketball game itself: we found ourselves in “overtime,” in need of a hero. Many different players in this saga rose to the occasion and performed to the best of their ability. The City of Sacramento’s officials and residents began realizing the meaning and importance of having a professional sports franchise, and just in time. Maybe it took being on the brink of losing them to finally realize this. There were seconds left on the clock,  the best play was drawn up, and was executed perfectly. “We did it!” Kevin Johnson announced in a press conference following the decision by the league to block relocation and keep the Kings in our capitol city. Now, Golden 1 Center serves as the jewel of downtown as it represents what could be called the greatest comeback in the history of the NBA. 

Bridget is a second year student at UC Davis with a passion for fashion and writing. She is involved in the Student Fashion Association and hopes that her love for fashion shows through her blog and #OOTD posts. :) She is also a diehard San Francisco Giants fan and enjoys watching baseball, basketball, and football in her free time.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!