This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Okay…it feels like it’s been raining more than I shop online in classes—which is quite a lot. Obviously, rain makes everyone feel all cozy and like they are in a movie and it makes it smell all good, yes, yes yes. You know what I’m talking about.

Me personally? I feel like it makes me all mysterious, so much that I gotta have that soundtrack that matches the rain playing in my ears (at a dangerously high volume).

You wanna be the cool mysterious girl, walking through the rain, where is she going? Here’s the songs to get you in that mood:

• Comment te dire adieu– Francoise Hardy (Who doesn’t love a french bop?)
  • Champagne Coast– Blood Orange (This song is super special, it makes me feel so cool yet happy instantly)
  • Here, There and Everywhere– The Beatles (Perfect for dedicating to your partner on a cute Instagram post. Also, just overall a good vibe throughout the song, super folky, super chill)
  • The Flower Called Nowhere–Stereolab (This song is for pretentious people only. Be careful buying one of their shirts, someone will definitely ask you to name five songs)
  • A Devil’s Touch in the Midwest– Macabre Plaza (Silly jazz-like instrumental music that tickles my brain in the right way.
  • The Blonde– TV Girl (A TikTok classic, but it is actually a fun song. Although TV Girl is kind of an overrated band, there are still a lot of their songs that aren’t too worn out by TikTok…yet)
  • I Saw An Angel– Puzzle (Super nice electronic song that has a lot of switch-ups. This has been one of my favorites more multiple years– it’s very fun)
  • Vampire Empire– Big Thief (Warning: Very emotional. Little bit of screaming. But Big Thief really can’t make a bad song, this is just one of their newer ones)
  • Hell O Tender– Memo Boy (Fun, home-made like sound. Super chill, relaxing electronic music)
  • Taco Truck x VB– Lana Del Rey (Since she got jipped out of a Grammy, we might as well stream her less popular songs– this one is one of my favorites)
  • Slap Pie– Men I Trust (Unlike other songs Men I Trust make. Kind of a silly song, but it still is fun to groove to. The other songs on this album are very good too)
  • Reckless– Crystal Castles (This is an acquired taste, it is very heavy electronic music, very repetitive, but extremely fun to dance to if it’s your vibe)
  • Moi je joue– Brigitte Bardot (More French music. Means “Me, I’m playing” and it’s very cute)
  • Pilgrimage– Ichiko Aoba (Extremely ethereal. No other adjectives can describe this song)
  • Dooyo– Dur-Dur Band (A real groovy, yet short international song)
  • Sinzing Sunset Boulevard– Moodorama (Jazz influence, super fun to listen to)

Whether you like slower or faster, more fun songs, these underground songs are bound to get you feeling like the most mysterious girl in the coffee shop. They are some of my favorite songs, I hope you enjoy them!

My name is Faith, I am an English major and linguistic minor at the University of California Davis. I am an editor/writer for many and a candidate for a creative writing honors thesis. When I’m not reading or writing, you can find me frolicking in nature with my friends. I love dogs, coffee, and wishful thinking. I hope you enjoy my writing!