A Conversation with Alex Chesebro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Name: Alexander Chesebro

Major: History

Year: 2017

Some of you may not have yet met Alexander Chesebro, but those who have will probably remember that he carries the air of someone who will stop at nothing to achieve his goals. Not only is Alex going to school full-time, he co-owns his own business and is president of a club through the city of Davis. Alex is incredibly ambitious, and will overcome any obstacle thrown his way.

What do you plan on doing with your degree from UCD?

My objective is to accompany my research in antique reproduction in fashion.

What is your favorite thing about History?

I think it allows you to understand the multidimensionality of people. When we attempt to look at historical people [everyone], we tend to see them as static; we tend to define them in unchanging categories based on simple actions, events, and quotes [often out of context]. People like to divide characters into solid camps of good, evil, just, unjust, oppressors, and the oppressed, when really I think studying history allows you to see how fluid relationships between people can be.

You seem very passionate about your major!

We get to see all their [people] flaws and fame. You could find someone who is meant to embody evil but could actually have done something allowing you to see them in a different light. History is like an amazing novel.

What do you do in your spare time?

I am an avid cook, I particularly like Japanese and Scottish food. I also study the history of 19th century corsetry, collect antique corsets and corset patterns, and study period accurate construction technology for reenacting.

Reenacting?

I just started a living history group here in Davis [not associated with UCD yet]. We do historical research and we dress up in costume from the time period we explore and we also make food, explore cultural manors and customs of that time period. We are a brand new group in search of new members. Here is my email,:ajcheseb@ucdavis.edu, and let me know if you want to join!

Do you also work?

I am the head perfumer at Fitzgerald and Guislain. I specialize in fragrance history and vintage style perfumes. Also, I work at the Great Dickens Fair during the holiday season; I am a sales clerk for Mr. Allan Jeffries.

Can you go into details about the perfuming business you co-own?

At Fitsgerald and Guislain, I am one of the managers and members. The company wants to explore two aspects of fragrance [perfumery]. Firstly, we work with techniques used in the late 19th century in France, England, and the US to produce perfumes reminiscent of the bygone era. We also only use naturally derived botanical essentials in our fragrance [no artificially manufactured chemicals]. Secondly, I’ve always been inspired when a scent can paint a picture or tell a story; we don’t just want you to like how the perfume smells, but to be transported to another place.

I am a Creative Writing major at UC Davis, with a passion for making art through poetry and stories.
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.