Confronting Change At The Women’s Resources and Research Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The Women’s Resources and Research Center (WRRC) has been an integral part of creating a space for students to receive support and get educated in regards to intersectional social issues.

Her Campus published an article discussing the WRRC and a few of the ways they contribute towards enhancing our campus climate through their services and events, so we understand how important they are. Their current physical space at North Hall has come to symbolize security for many students and exemplifies how much UC Davis values keeping spaces for marginalized communities. Their presence on campus is essential towards making UC Davis a safer space for everyone

Several of you may already know that the WRRC is undergoing some changes and transitions, but you might unsure about whether this change will affect students positively or negatively.  

I recently had the pleasure of speaking with a very distinguished panel of individuals involved with the WRRC in some capacity. They were able to answer some questions and relieve some anxieties surrounding the WRRC’s transition

Pictured left to right: Sheri Atkinson (Executive Director of Community Resources and Retention Center), Ashley Teodorson (Business and Coordinator at the WRRC), Jessica Castellon (Assistant Director of Education at the WRRC), Milton Lang (Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Life, Campus Community and Retention Services), and Sarah Hahn (Director of Student Health and Counseling Services).

Milton Lang started off the discussion by expressing that the WRRC will be moving to a new location at the Student Community Center (SCC) in order to make space for more mental health counselors at North Hall. He mentions that UC Davis has been asked to hire more counseling psychologists and that the university is committed to bringing in more counselors for students.  He has been working closely with Sarah Hahn’s team to create this space for them but recognizes the significant effect this move will have on students. This is why he believes it is necessary to engage in conversation with students and staff members at the WRRC to make sure everyone is given a voice in this matter. 

As individuals who work at the WRRC, Jessica Castellon and Ashley Teodorson were able to provide more information on how students are being served at the WRRC. Jessica discussed that the center provides a drop-in service for resources and referrals for various concerns as well as a confidential reporting agency. Jessica also iterated that this confidential reporting service is often the “first point of contact” for students who are then referred to more specific resources for their needs. The WRRC also promotes gender equity through education, conferences, and events. Their programs are open to everyone and serve as an effective way to get students involved. Ashley expressed that the WRRC is also involved in advocacy and policy making. She also highlighted how much their work surrounding crisis support has only increased over time; however, this progress involves partnering with Student Health and Counseling Services, more specifically CAN counselors.

The Community Advising Network (CAN) counselors are a group of community counselors who help all students cope with various issues. CAN counselors especially aid individuals from underserved populations, and they work closely with various campus units. Sarah Hahn brought up how the CAN program helps connect the WRRC to Student Health and Counseling Services. As issues of gender equity are intersectional, connecting students with diverse backgrounds and needs to helpful resources that heavily consider this diversity is part of what makes the WRRC so integral. Sarah also mentioned that the CAN program will be following the WRRC, so it is one aspect of the Center we will not be missing out on.

One of the challenges that the WRRC faces right now involves working with a new director and assistant director as both positions had been left empty for quite some time. Sheri Atkinson was able to reveal that a new director has been hired and will start working as of November 14th. To add to the list of good news, the application process for the position of Assistant Director for Outreach was expected to close by the end of last week. This means that a committee will begin to form to start the hiring process.

With a new Director and Assistant Director hired, the WRRC will definitely be able to implement some amazing programs throughout the year. V* Stories, Stem Café, and the Empowerment Conference all serve to create spaces for individuals who want to be heard and interact with people who have similar interests and goals.

The most important part about these programs is that they are always created for and around the needs of students. Jessica and Ashley both explained that while some programs have a structure, others arise in response to current events and campus climate issues. The creation of spaces for processing and discussion are highly prioritized. Walk-in themes also help provoke thought and conversation surrounding topics such as sexual health, reproductive health, sexual harassment, sexual violence, and more.

Even though there is still some anxiety about sorting out the logistics of the move such as making sure there is enough space for staff and students, there is a far more pressing issue of making sure that students feel comfortable coming into the center and understanding that the new location is a safe space. Both Ashley and Jessica understand the worth of validating the connection students have to the old location so that they can best understand how to accommodate their needs in the new space. According to Jessica, however, students can get involved by attending forums, engaging in conversations, and providing feedback to the WRRC. Ashley emphasized how important it is to attend programs at the center and be present in the space. Milton Lang expressed the need to communicate this change as widely as possible and create marketing campaigns to spread the information. He understands that this information must be communicated to every member on campus.

With all of the new changes comes a new set of opportunities. They still have a physical presence on campus, and it’s our job as students to make sure their visibility not only remains, but also increases. If there is one thing I’ve witnessed about the WRRC, it is that they really know how to adapt to the needs of the students; however, this can only work if students are involved in conversations that affect them.

We are so proud of the Women’s Resources and Research Center and can only wish them all the best in their future endeavors. We should all look forward to the new ways we can spread their values on campus.

For more information on the CAN counselors: https://shcs.ucdavis.edu/services/can

For more information about the WRRC: http://wrrc.ucdavis.edu/

Sonya Vyas is currently a fourth year student at UC Davis. She is a Pharmaceutical Chemistry and English double major. She enjoys listening to obscure music, reading constantly, making connections, and caring about everything.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!