Confessions: I’m a Senior and I Still Get Lonely

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I’ve struggled with making and maintaining friendships since I entered UCD as a freshman. With the novelty of dorming and the excitement of new clubs, freshman year posed an easily navigable environment to start building friendships; however, true, meaningful ones – the kind that withstand years – were hard to come by.

Now as a graduating senior, I’ve begun reflecting on these friendships and concluded that many of them probably won’t last long after college. Moreover, many of them were never fulfilling in the first place.

Although, I feel I haven’t made truly meaningful friendships at UCD, I don’t believe this reality excluded me from meeting new people, making memories that I’ll carry for a lifetime and learning valuable lessons about myself: particularly, how to feel comfortable being alone.

Source: Pexels

Being content and comfortable with solitude is one of the most impactful challenges I’ve faced and has profoundly influenced my self-growth in a positive way. Being alone isnt necessarily a bad thing.

Through my years at UCD, I’ve learned the best tricks on how to self-heal when having a rough day. I’ve learned to find and appreciate the happiness I find in other activities and in social relations that have sustained. I’ve also learned to prioritize my goals and passions.

I would’ve never been able to grow into the stronger, more confident and reflective person I am today had I not experienced moments of loneliness and solitude. So don’t fret, Aggies! Enjoy that solo lunch date and don’t worry if you don’t have plans on Friday night. As long as you have yourself, you’re with the best company there is.

Maria is a fourth year at University of California, Davis where she is double majoring in Economics and Comparative Literature. When she's not studying for her classes or writing up an article, you can find her playing soccer with her friends, working with the UCD School of Education or chowing down on some delicious Thai food with her roommates.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!