jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Compliment Yourself: You Deserve It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

This quarter, I set a goal of boosting my confidence so that I am comfortable with who I am. Before college, I sometimes felt like an outcast because I didn’t like to curl or straighten my hair (it’s naturally curly), wear makeup, or listen to mainstream music. Each of those characteristics are such small, seemingly miniscule aspects of who I am, but they bothered me. I wasn’t comfortable with them.

College is definitely a place where one can embrace who they are and celebrate their differences, and I was fully ready for that when I came to Davis. What I didn’t know is that, although leaving home for college is practically a “blank slate”, the insecurities that I felt living in the shadows of my high school peers were not quick to dissolve along with my pre-college self. I, unfortunately, felt the same pressures to be “on trend”, to do trendy things, and go on spontaneous trips as I did when I was in high school. In fact, at some points in my first and second years, these feelings got worse. I thought maybe the best way to combat these insecurities was to make friends to validate my feelings and who I am, but I quickly found that, although friends are what make the college experience worthwhile, there was some internal tuning that needed to be done before I could embrace my disheveled, goofy, indie music-loving self.

This year, my third year, as I mature and grow into myself, I have started to take time for myself each day. I realized that I didn’t need to wait for others to compliment me; I needed to start complimenting myself. I remind myself every morning when I wake up how proud I am of myself. I remind myself of what I have accomplished, as well as the goals that I have set in order to reassure myself how ambitious and strong I am. Once I kept reminding myself who I am, I slowly learned that the aspects of who I am that used to disappoint me are the parts of me that make me Madi. Those little things are the best parts of me; it’s just taking me a while to realize that.

Madi is currently a fourth-year student at UC Davis majoring in English and Poltical Science. She is currently a marketing intern for the Mondavi Center at UC Davis. Her favorite hobbies are reading, making Spotify playlists, and grabbing lattes with her girls! 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!