Coaching: From ‘Peaceful Parents, Happy Kids’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

What I learned from the book Peaceful Parents, Happy Kids by Laura Markham: 

Coaching is a concept that is often used within the athletic world, but it is also a concept that involves other aspects of life such as interpersonal relationships and child-rearing. Coaching is the idea of teaching and guiding a child by engaging in communication and displaying the standard modeled behavior. 

women doing exercises
Photo by Luis Quintero from Pexels

The coaching method in parenting is characterized by high support and high expectations. Psychological research states that posing high expectations on your child is necessary only when it is backed up with support, communication, and discussion. Communication is key for coaching because every child has different needs, and in order to understand and meet the child’s needs, the parent must seek to constantly communicate with their child.  The coaching method allows the parent and the child to learn and grow together through active communication. One of the successful ways that can foster great communication is being a role model for your child, while also teaching them that you are imperfect. 

two women having an interview
mentatdgt

One may notice that parenting is challenging for the parent just as it is for the child. What allows the parent to raise great kids is coaching not controlling. Most of the time, it is the parent who has to practice emotion regulation. For example, saying “It’s okay, I need to calm down, it’s not the end of the world” can help the parent recenter and become peaceful with their child. Pep talks can be especially useful when the parent is facing a heated moment. In the end, handling emotions well teaches the child to handle their emotions, manage their behavior, and develop mastery rather than controlling for immediate compliance. Thoughtful parents know that every action they do either helps or hinders the person their child is becoming, so they emotion coach so that their child develops the emotional intelligence essential to managing feelings and becoming the best version of themselves. 

Layla is studying Psychology and Human Development at the University of California, Davis. She has many interests and enjoys being busy. She is currently working as a Student Manager at the UC Davis Bookstore and interning as an RA in Goodman's Lab. She is passionate about Youth Development, Career Advising, Marketing, Team Building, and Web Design. She hopes to give back to the community and empower the future generation of great leaders.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!