This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I’ve never been to Coachella, nor do I have much of an incentive to go (as a short person, crowded general admission concerts aren’t my cup of tea), but there is no denying the fun of watching the Snapchat stories of celebrities, bloggers, and personal friends who have spent their weekend in Indio, California for the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. From fashion trends to celeb sightings to the real purpose of the festival — the music — weekend one of Coachella has lived up to its hype. Here’s a wrap up of Coachella’s first weekend.

Music-wise, the festival’s lineup ranged from popular DJs like Calvin Harris to up and coming artists like Alessia Cara. Ellie Goulding took the stage Friday night, while other pop queens like Halsey and Zella Day performed later. Some of the artists with the most positive feedback include Guns N’ Roses, LCD Soundsystem, Major Lazer, and Sia. There were a handful of surprise appearances, like when Lorde joined Disclosure onstage Saturday night, when Zedd brought on Kesha, and when Kanye West teamed up with A$AP Rocky to perform. The most surprising guest was presidential candidate Bernie Sanders, who video taped an introduction for Run the Jewels (rapper Killer Mike has been a prominent supporter of Sanders). Even if concertgoers aren’t Sanders fans, in 90 degree temperature they probably felt the burn anyway.

The cool thing about music is that it’s made for everyone, which is why Coachella’s attendees include average Joes, high profile celebrities, and everyone in between. Leonardo DiCaprio and Rihanna were seen together this weekend, while Taylor Swift attended the festival for the first time with some of her squad members like Serayah and the girls of HAIM. Pretty Little Liars’ Ashley Benson, Tyler Blackburn, Troian Bellisario, and Shay Mitchell all posted a ton of Snapchats with each other from the audience — but not as many Snapchats as Kylie Jenner posted. Fashion bloggers like Danielle Bernstein (We Wore What) and Eleanor Calder (The Trend Pear) were also present at Coachella, looking oh-so-aesthetic. As far as the regular people, my friend Colby attended the festival. Hi, Colby.

Personally, I feel like Coachella has been going on for a month now, but it’s just weekend one. The second and final weekend of Coachella will take place April 22nd-24th. 

Gretchen is a fourth year UC Davis student double majoring in political science and cinema & digital media. As an intersectional feminist, she finds interest in issues of social justice and equality. She also finds interest in dogs, Leonardo DiCaprio movies, and early 2000s music.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!