Celebrating Being a Powerful Womxn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Dear friends,

I feel so lucky that there are many powerful womxn out in the world that I can look up to. However, I think there may be one underrated powerful womxn in your life that should be recognized: you!

Today is the day to accept and own the powerful womxn within. Here are six ways to recognize the awesome in yourself! Ask yourself the following questions.

1. Are you in or applying to be in college?

That is a wonderful accomplishment! You survived 12 years of formal education, and now you may pursue deeper understanding of the subjects you are interested in. I was so relieved to finally graduate high school and start studying wildlife conservation. I knew what I wanted, but plenty of my friends did not. The first step in attending college finding your interests.

2. Have you attended any classes or done homework today?

As an active college student you are defying hundreds of years of patriarchy. Let’s keep proving that womxn can be just as smart as men, or smarter! By week five of the quarter, homework really piles up. Some days I feel no motivation to do anymore work, until I remember that I want to get the highest grade in the class. You can do it too!

3. Are you living away from home for the first time?

Taking care of yourself, or experimenting with new ways to live takes courage! Congratulations for at least trying to be an adult. Yes, I think should eat more fresh food and sleep more than two hours!

4. Are you spending time with friends lately?

It is just as important to relax as it is to work. A balanced life means you can continue to change the world without burning yourself out.

5. Have you done anything for your community today?

Another important sign of a powerful womxn is community involvement. This can be anything from recycling to volunteering for a beloved cause. I think that everyone should participate in their community somehow because it helps the person volunteering and the people around. 

6. Do you respectfully stand up for your opinions?

A strong womxn has opinions and is not afraid to voice them. A powerful womxn can state her opinions without hurting others. It can be hard not to slam down on opposing ideas when you are passionate about a subject. So while this is the most important part of powerful womxnhood, I think you should not be too hard on yourself to fulfill this requirement all of the time. After all we are human, as well as powerful womxn. 

Now to celebrate your power, you should have an ice cream sandwich and rejoice in being alive today. 

Love, Mia

I was born in Bakersfield, but I have moved over ten times since I was three years old. I love books and musicals. Yes I am a Hamilton fanatic, Potter fan, Tolkien follower and feel the compulsive need to read at least once a day. My other favorite hobby is cooking. Currently my major is in Environmental Policy Analysis and Planning at UC Davis.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!