Celebrate Your Body Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Join students at UC Davis during Celebrate Your Body Week to celebrate bodies of all shapes and sizes. All events will be at a student friendly price: free! The week long event is hosted by ABIDE, the Association of Body Image and Disordered Eating, a UC Davis group “dedicated to raising campus awareness about how society might influence one’s relationship to one’s body and to food. They offer a holistic understanding of body image and healthy eating in a context that recognizes racial, sexual, gender, (dis)ability, and class identity’s influence in the University community.”

This year’s event will start off with a kickoff with awesome prize giveaways and chocolates along with body positive affirmations.

And who doesn’t love free yoga? Connect your mind and body through a class that focuses on self‐care and fun. All yoga levels and experiences are welcome to Love Your Body Yoga. The class will take you on a mental/emotional journey of clarity through various poses while incorporating body positivity.

You can even learn how to approach a friend with an eating disorder at the workshop “The Freshman 15 and How to Help a Friend”, hosted by Emma McManus, an eating disorder specialist. Not to mention, free pizza!

Join hands with your peers in a Public Display of Acceptance on the MU Patio. Don a white T-shirt and have passerbys write compliments on it, or write a compliment on someone else’s shirt to spread the love! Free baked goods provided when you participate. 

Make sure not to miss Crafternoons at the LGBTQIA Resource Center. Create a positive 2016 ‘remembrances and intentions jar’: art that reflects body loving ideals and emphasizes the importance of finding gratitude in who we are in the moment.

Feel awesome and get free food, all while combating fat talk, minimizing the social emphasis on appearances, and being appreciative of all body sizes!

Enya Meng is a junior at UC Davis studying Clinical Nutrition with a minor in English. She aspires to become a registered dietitian working with patients with eating disorders. Her favorite things to do include reading, writing short stories, and experimenting with new recipes.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!