Campus Culinary Celebrity: de Vere’s Irish Pub

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Edited by: Amy Coyle

Remember the nights you spent dancing away at Agave bar, amidst the endless tequila shots? Do you remember the full-service bar at Soga’s and their deliciously authentic Italian mixed drinks?

Or perhaps you don’t remember –and not just because Thursdays + alcohol = fuzzy memories. But instead, because both restaurant-bars closed shortly after their openings. What now occupies the large layout in the middle of E street is an authentic Irish pub, de Vere’s. Her Campus at UC Davis checked it out before their grand opening, and collegiettes™, we are satisfied to say this one’s definitely a keeper.

These two collegiettes™ decided to drag themselves from bed Veteran’s day, and test out the restaurant for lunch (despite our throbbing hangovers from the previous night). We dressed to theme –brown boots with jeans neatly tucked in, plaid shirts, and light, buttery-leather jackets. Brimming with as much Irish-spirit as we could muster, we tugged open the giant doors and as we stepped inside, we let the door shut behind us, encapsulating us into a world of mahogany bar stools, plush leather couches, lounge nooks, and whiskey. Lots and lots of whiskey.

The ambiance is incredible. Looking to escape the world of Aggie-packed Chipotle, sorority girl-infested Pluto’s, or the oh-so-indie pool of hippies at D of V? Then immerse yourself in the refreshing ambiance of de Vere’s. Perhaps the servers were just trying to impress during the soft opening,  but the atmosphere appeared genuine and welcoming. There was a family sitting directly behind us, a party of young business execs at the bar, and a clan of college students nestled in their books on the lounge’s couches.

Now, onto the most important critique: the food. It seems I am much less cultured than my foodie counterpart who joined me for lunch, because I needed her to explain most of the menu. Black and white pudding? Definitely not the same as Jello brand’s; at de Vere’s, it’s a type of sausage cooked in condensed blood. And chips are served with most entree options, and we’re not talking about your typical, American Ruffles or Lays potato chips. These chips are thick, crunchier french fries, with malt vinegar and salt sprinkled atop.  

I decided on the “Granny’s shepherd’s pie”: ground beef and fresh vegetables in a rich gravy, topped with mashed potatoes and a fried egg, and served with a Caesar salad. The texture of the mashed potatoes was unbelievable and I could literally feel them melting down my throat. Although I was skeptical about the fried egg, the yolk poured loosely and generously over the mashed potatoes, creating an even creamier richness. Then, I got to the vegetables and beef hidden under the mashed potatoes, and my taste buds shot up to seventh heaven. It was a pricier pie standing at $12.95, but my taste buds enjoyed every cent.

My friend went with the “Classic Fare Original de Vere’s Burger” with added sauteed mushrooms and the Traditional Chips. We both thought we knew what we could expect: a beef patty, some lettuce, and tomatoes slapped between two buns. But we were not even close. Once she bit into the burger, red juice leaked onto her plate –a beautiful sign that the chef had taken special care to grill the meat. The tomato was thick and strong: one slice covered the entire circumference of the sandwich, ensuring every bite to contain a crisp, delightful bite of tomato. The chips were delicious, yet I found the malt vinegar taste too bitter. We both agreed it would have been better if they left the customers to flavor their own fries with the bottle left on each table.

A word of advice, the prices are a bit high ($12.95 for the Shepherd’s Pie and $9.50 for the burger), especially with all the possible substitutions. Also, be aware that most entrees can easily serve two. We decided to order two dishes and share, but we still had plenty of leftovers to take home and enjoy later. A flyer at our table promoted the amenities this restaurant expects to offer in the near future, such as a happy hour, weekdays from 3:30-6:30, and on-the-go breakfast foods, such as pastries and coffee, for those students wishing to hide in one of their cozy nooks, or break out the books in their back lounge area.

de Vere’s is an indulgence: for the wallet and the waistline. I will be taking my parents here during their visits; the beer selection is exclusive yet prestigious, and the amount of whiskey brands is a bit overwhelming. It is unlike any restaurant Davis has yet to see, and for this reason it will succeed. Take a turn visiting this hidden world inside our small-town bubble and you’ll leave feeling revived and content…especially if you give the whiskey-spiked coffee with fresh whipped cream a gander.

FOUR STARS

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.