Campus Celebrity: The Liquid Hotplates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Listen up Davis collegiettes for this breaking news! LHP TAKIN’ OVER!!!
The Liquid Hotplates, acclaimed co-ed a’cappella group is taking over Campus Celebrity.
The 16 member group was established in 2000 and has since been continuing strong. They perform various times throughout the year.  This year, LHP have already competed in various a’cappella competitions, including UC Berkeley’s West ICCA quarter finals; performed at Imaginasian and Delta Desserts; and have appeared at various fundraisers throughout the Davis community. The group is focusing on incorporating more choreography into their singing. They ask their fans to get involved by helping them with dance choreography, contributing feedback on arrangements, suggesting new songs, and brainstorming logo ideas for new Liquid Hotplates t-shirts and hoodies.

Members are unsure where the name “The Liquid Hotplates” derived from. The group originally wanted to perform in the Sacramento/ Bay Area, therefore seeking a name not specific to solely the Davis community. At one point in the process of brainstorming for a name, MTV’s “Liquid Television” was mentioned and became a fore-runner,  soon turning into “Liquid Karma.” However, the group’s singers (well-versed on their musical history) felt it was too similar to John Lennon’s “Instant Karma,” and the idea was refined yet again.

A memorable critique from one of the singers stuck to the minds of the group’s members: “‘We don’t want to be like MTV, with their new-fangled liquid television high-tech consumerism. We should be like the poor man’s liquid television…like some student in an Eastern European tenement somewhere who cannot afford a brand new liquid television—he can only afford a liquid hotplate on which to cook his ‘Top Ramen’ soup.’” And this, is most likely where their creative, attention-grabbing title originated.

LHP was invited to Hellacapella, a NorCal a’cappella concert hosted by one of Davis’ all female a’cappella groups. On the topic of receiving this invitation, Lecreatia Nelson, the business manager for LHP, says, “We were so honored! We know that Hellacappella is for NorCal groups outside of Davis, but to be liked so much by The Spokes and have an opportunity to share the stage with some of the best groups out there was really flattering.”

What makes this group so successful is their respect for eachother. The tight knit Liquid Hotplates hold weekend retreats to become closer as a group: they listen to music, eat meals together, and overall enjoy eachother’s company. They’re a close group of friends, who hang out as a group outside a LHP setting.

Unbelieveably, for most Liquid Hotplates members, this is their first experience singing in an a’cappella group. So interested Davis students –don’t despair if you’ve never attempted a’cappella before! The Liquid Hotplates are welcoming and want you to become a part of their singing entourage! Auditions are held every Fall and Spring Quarter, although specific dates have not yet been set for this upcoming term.

Auditions tend to be competitive due to the large turn-out of potential members, and the call back rates vary depending on the group’s needs. For example, last year more tenors and basses were accepted due to the fact those specific singers were graduating. However, once you receive a call-back welcoming you to the group, you will be quickly integrated as a member of Davis’ renowned vocalists –great people, songs, practices, and fun included.

Otherwise, Nelson advises others interested to “keep up with us would be via Facebook or theliquidhotplates.com. We also have a Twitter where or fans can follow us.” So far, their planned performances are scheduled for April 9th, at Relay for Life, and April 16th, at Picnic Day on the ARC’s quad.

I’ll see you there!

The Liquid Hotplates:
Roy Adams – 4th year – Computer Science and Engineering
Mercy Albaran – 4th year – International Relations
Chris Ablaza – 3rd year – Civil Engineering
Alyssa Black – 3rd year – Landscape Architecture
Cameron Brown – 3rd year – Economics
Melissa Cancio – 3rd year – International Relations
Chris Chu – 1st year – Animal Sciences
Rachel De Jesus – 3rd year – Animal Science
Neil Enriquez – 1st year – Undeclared
Karen Fujii – 4th year – Exercise Biology
Jasmine Nasser – 3rd year – Community and Regional Development
Lecreatia Nelson – 4th year – Economics
Joshua Scott – 4th year
Ali Wallace – 3rd year – Anthropology
Jaimie Wu – 1st year – Undeclared
Zuway Yeh – 4th year

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1565915461302&oid=101293976578…

Sources: Lecreatia Nelson, Liquid Hotplates Business Manager, & Davis Wiki