Campus Celebrity: Johnny Parsons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
In the game of lacrosse, an offensive player is considered to have an exceptional game if he scores at least two goals. So what happens when a player scores six? For one UC Davis men’s lacrosse player, this feat was accomplished. The writers of Her Campus felt that such a noteworthy individual deserves this week’s title of Campus Celebrity.

Name: Johnny Parsons
Team Nickname: “Pretty Mouth”
Major: English and Psychology
Year: Senior
Age: 21
Team: UC Davis Men’s Lacrosse
Position: Attack/Team Captain
Hometown: Pleasanton

How long have you played lacrosse?
I started playing in 8th grade so this will be my ninth year.

What is your favorite thing about it?
My teammates. They are a great group of guys.

What position do you play? What does it require (what do you do)?
I play attack. Basically, it is an offensive position and so it is your job to score goals and get points for your team. I am also the team captain. This job requires leading the team in stretches, organizing practices, fundraisers and team dinners.

Was Davis your first choice school for lacrosse?
Not for lacrosse. I chose Davis first and foremost for the education and had the option of playing lacrosse after I got here.

Do you plan on playing after college?
Maybe for some club teams but I definitely will not be going pro. I actually plan on getting my teaching credential in the fall. I want to be a high school English or history teacher.

What other activities are you involved in on campus?
I used to be a writer for The Aggie.

What does a regular practice week consist of?  
We practice three days a week. On Mondays it is mostly conditioning and we go over improvements that need to be made from the last game. On Wednesday we practice and go over plays and on Fridays we have pre-game practices. Saturdays are usually reserved for game days with the occasional game falling on a Sunday as well.

Is it hard to balance school, work, etc.?
At first it was hard for me. I have played lacrosse all four years of college so now I finally have the hang of it. I have managed to find time around my practice schedule to work out on my own time and go out on weekends. As pathetic as it sounds the one thing I have had to cut out of my schedule is my TV time. As of right now I do not currently have a job but every summer on the off-season I work for an old coach at an elevator repair service.

So you do have time for a social life outside of lacrosse?
Yeah, definitely. I try to go out every weekend.

Where on campus can you be found the most?
The second floor art lounge in the MU. I will sit up there for hours. It is the perfect place for someone like me who is an English major because I have to read so many books.

Is there anything unique about yourself?
For the last year I have been learning how to play the guitar. I’m also really into cycling. Last year I went on a hundred-mile bike ride for a charity event. It’s called the Holstein Hundred and you ride all throughout Marin County.

So finally, I have to ask. How do you think Davis will do this season?
I think we are going to do really great. Other teams in the league are looking better than the years before, but so are we. Our team came third in the league last year but I think we have a chance to come in second or even first this year.

Current Team Record: 4-1
Next Home Game: Saturday, March 12th vs. Sonoma State

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.