Burgo, Spain: Week 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

After two plane rides, a taxi, and a bus, I have arrived in the wonderful city of Burgos in northern Spain where the weather is mild, the streets are scenic, and the people are thriving. I often forget that I’m actually here for school and have to wander into a Spanish Art class for two hours a day in-between tours of underground tunnels in castles and flamenco dance lessons. The work, however, is no chore, because its simply learning more about the beautiful architecture decorating the fabulous structures that compose Burgos.

Although my primary educational goals here lie with buildings and art, I can’t help taking up a second interest in Spanish fashion. My professor warned us before we left, “Don’t wear those ratty denim shorts I know you have, and no sneakers! The Spanish are very classy dressers!” Upon arrival, every person in the street confirmed her statement, the Spanish certainly dress with care, no ratty denim in sight. I have to contest the sneaker remark, however, the Spanish are constantly on the go and need a shoe that can get them from point A to point B with comfort and ease. This, however, doesn’t mean that they compromise their fashion; I have passed multiple business men padding the streets in suits and their colorful Tiger tennies with bright laces and sporty stripes, a pair of leather shoes tucked into their sleek bags, no doubt.

The women here certainly know how to dress, and unlike American women, I have not seen a single woman or teen out around town in sweats or a lumpy hoody. Jeans are present but not prevalent and take a constant backseat to more feminine dresses and skirts which are often flatteringly cinched with a wide belt. Flats and strappy sandals, like in the United States, are popular among the teens, while many of the adult women rock a wedge or heel on a daily basis. Similarly, it is the youths who often don the smaller floral prints while the women tackle the larger ones. Older women here are typically the best dressed, often foregoing orthopedic shoes and advertising tee shirts for sensible heels, a classy outfit in navy and white, and always a string of pearls.

Hair here is an entirely different situation. Stick straight hair is always surpassed for full, wavy curls, a bold pouf, or a sassy bun. I’ve noticed that style is evidently less important than color as I’ve observed girl after girl walking by with magenta, violet, or deep purple hair tints. The numerous pelaquerias, or hair salons, advertise the trend with posters of women sporting bold colored locks. Another hair trend seems to be tightly wound curl extensions mixed in with straight hair in either a natural hair color or a bright, contrasting one from the pink family.

I feel like I am slowly wrapping my head around fashion in Burgos, and on Friday I will get to compare it to fashion in Bilbao and San Sebastian. Adios collegiettes™!

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.