This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Recently, people have been obsessed with the whole concept of aesthetics. From the E-girl/E-boy look that took over TikTok for a couple of months, to the cottage core guys and gals dressing in their picnic best and baking frog cakes or painting mushrooms on everything they own.

It is quite a task to find an aesthetic that fits your personality, and it can be costly to really commit your wardrobe to one. I have had a fair share of exploring different kinds of styles and testing out aesthetics I found appealing to me. It was a lot of trial and error such as investing in pieces that I ended up never wearing. I’m still in the process of slowly putting together items to create my dream aesthetic wardrobe, but I wanted to share some tips and tricks to help those who want to start building their own aesthetics but just do not know where to start.

Woman on instagram
Photo by Kate Torline from Unsplash
It is truly an unfortunate fate for us broke college students, where these times are when we are the most experimental, there is simply no extra money to fund our budding interests in fashion and clothing. With that being said, there are some things you can do to help you on your journey to finding the right aesthetic for you without breaking the bank:

Find inspiration on Pinterest, Instagram, TikTok, anywhere; keep your eyes peeled for things that make you double-take. Save posts of outfits that draw your attention and compile them into a single board or folder. Inspiration can come from anywhere, and keeping track of things you see that you like can help you identify what your aesthetic might be.

Once you have collected a good amount of “data,” compare the things you saved: Are there recurring themes? Is there a color that is consistent with the outfits you have saved? Maybe a certain kind of clothing or accessory keeps popping up in your archives. By this time, you probably have an idea about what kind of aesthetic you are drawn towards. If not, do not sweat! What is amazing about style is that you get to be the one deciding what kind of look or “vibe” you want to go for. I know for myself that my style does not fall perfectly in line with a certain aesthetic. Your style can be a mix of two or more!

Choose some items/colors that you want to “invest” in. Once you have identified items of clothing or accessories that have been consistently showing up on your Pinterest boards or saved images on Instagram, it is time to invest. This does not mean you have to look into high-end brand clothes or accessories to make your first purchase. I like to start at the thrift store. While I may not find clothes that are exactly like the ones I see on Pinterest/Instagram, I have found some pieces that were pretty close. What is so great about starting at the thrift store is the low-stakes investment. If you buy clothes to try out, and it turns out to not really match your vibe, the losses are minimal.

person holding assorted clothes in wooden hanger
Photo by Becca McHaffie from Unsplash
Grow your wardrobe or go back to your saved outfit inspirations; if it turns out the items you invested in are not what you’re looking for, go back to your saved outfit images, and pick something else. If what you invested in is to your liking, then you now have started building your aesthetic wardrobe! Building your style and aesthetic is a gradual process, and what makes it so much fun is the chance to step out of your comfort zone and expand the possibilities of how you can express yourself. So, if you are hesitant to start, let this be your sign to start your journey towards building your aesthetic!

Emily is a recent graduate from UC Davis, with a bachelor's degree in Communications and Cinema & Digital Media. She is currently Design Director for VITA at UC Davis and Digital Media Director for Her Campus UCD. She enjoys thrifting and getting coffee with friends.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!