Book Review: Binge by Tyler Oakley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Tyler Oakley is one of the most well known YouTubers in the world. He has garnered an audience of more than 7 million subscribers, 5 million Instagram followers, and 4 million Twitter followers. Not surprisingly, his recent book Binge went straight to the New York Times Bestseller List. 

When I bought his book, I felt a little silly at first. I was sure it was more appropriate for young girls who adored him than for a college girl like myself. Curiosity got to the better of me, and I decided to give it a try.

My takeaway? Any tween interested in reading this book might have an angry parent to deal with. Oakley crafts a series of mini-essays chronicling his life, ranging from mishaps on Grindr to first loves, drunken mistakes, eating disorders, and more. 

To his credit, his book is not just extended versions of his videos. Rather, the stories are in-depth, poignant, and widely interesting. The book really picks up about halfway through, in the chapter “The One That Got Away.” He delves into a lengthy description of his first love. It reads like a true romance novel, from their blissful first meeting to a tragic breakup. While it isn’t the most acclaimed literature one can read, it stays true to Oakley’s brand of pure fun. 

The first couple chapters may be difficult to understand if you aren’t familiar with Oakley’s humor. Sometimes it’s hard to figure out if he’s being serious or if he’s joking. By the end of the book, the overall message is a little unclear. The chapters about his struggles with body image quickly transition to a discussion of something as random as his rankings of the hottest Disney characters.

Best Chapters: “The One That Got Away,” “Editor in Grief,” “20 Things I’d Do If I Were Beyonce for the Day,” and “What Michelle Obama Smells Like”

Overall Rating: 7.5/10

Alexandra is a sophomore English major at UC Davis. She loves reading and writing, and her favorite things to do consist of playing her clarinet in the Band-Uh and talking about her dog, Bear.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!