This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Black History Month is an annual celebration used to showcase the achievements of African Americans as well as acknowledge the fundamental role blacks have in US history and today’s culture. Music is just one of the ways black Americans built America. To celebrate Black History Month, it would be appropriate to list some of the greatest black musicians of all time. Although black icons should be recognized and celebrated throughout the entire year, February is a good time to learn about and advise others on the legends who paved the way for other musicians to follow. 

With music being an impactful part of many people’s lives, it is essential to understand that many influential musicians are black artists. Over time, the music industry has been deeply moved by exceptional performers and composers. Take a look at some of the greatest black artists, the impact they had on civil rights and the change they had on black America, and the revolutionization of music forever. 

Louis Armstrong

Legacy: Louis Armstrong was an American composer, vocalist, trumpeter, and one of the most prominent figures in jazz. His career traversed five decades, from the 1920s to 1960s. Being a black man in the 1940s meant he was working and living in a segregated society, which led him to symbolize the struggle within the civil rights movement. Even almost 40 years past his death, his work as a composer and performer has had a profound impact on music as a whole. 

Greatest Hits: “What a Wonderful World”, “La Vie En Rose”, “Hello Dolly!”

Aretha Franklin

Legacy: The “Queen of Soul”, Aretha Franklin, was born in 1942. Primarily known for her incredible voice, songwriting and civil rights advocacy, Franklin was an essential part of the civil rights movement, often utilizing her platform to push towards human equality. In 1967, she released “Respect”, an influential anthem for racial equality and female empowerment. Aretha Franklin’s music has touched the world, selling over 75 million records throughout her career. 

Greatest Hits: “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman”, “I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)”, “Respect”

Photo by The New York Public Library

Stevie Wonder

Legacy: Stevie Wonder, born in 1950 with the name of Stevland Hardaway Morris as a multitalented musician. Along with being an incredible singer, songwriter, and performer, he is also a powerful political activist. In 1980 he campaigned to make Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday a holiday in the United States, and in 2014 he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Wonder continues to be an influential force in the music industry by inspiring other artists through his his work. 

Greatest Hits:  “Superstition”, “Signed, Sealed, Delivered”, “Isn’t She Lovely”

Etta James

Legacy: Etta James, born in 1938, was a multitalented American singer who performed several in genres, including R&B, soul, rock and roll, jazz, and blues. Etta James was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993 due to her powerful six-decade career. 

Greatest Hits: “At Last”, “I’d Rather Go Blind”, “Something’s Got a Hold on Me”

2Pac

Legacy: Tupac Shakur was born in 1971 at the beginning of the post-civil rights era. 2Pac was an influential artist that immersed himself in political movements, bringing light to injustices that affected those of color. Many of his incredible songs, including hits like ”Changes”, spoke of important issues including mass incarceration and highlighting challenges that African Americans experience on the daily. 

Greatest Hits: “Ghetto Gospel”, “California Love”, “Until the End of Time”

Whitney Houston

Legacy: Whitney Houston, born into a musical family, was destined to be a powerful singer and performer. She has been the most-awarded female artist of all time according to the Guinness World Records and is still the largest-selling musical artist, selling over 200 million records worldwide. Houston’s powerful contributions to today’s music are truly unquestionable.  

Greatest Hits: “I Will Always Love You”, “I Wanna Dance With Somebody”, “Higher Love”

J. Cole

Legacy: J. Cole, known as the “platinum with no features” rapper, has used his platform to highlight essential topics, such as the maltreatment of black men living through inescapable racial animosity. One out of many examples of Cole using his platform for the better is his ability to address continuous stereotypes that the black community faces throughout songs such as “Immortal” and “Neighbors”. J. Cole lending his influential voice to put a platform out for several political issues truly shows how impactful his music is in today’s society. 

Greatest Hits: “No Role Modelz”, “4 Your Eyez Only”, “Middle Child”

Girl Holding Vinyl Record
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

Beyoncé 

Legacy: Beyoncé is undeniably one of the most powerful artists of the past decade. Throughout instances such as performing in front of a backdrop stamped with the word “feminist”, she has inspired several other young women of color to encompass what being a powerful woman is. Beyoncé has also used her platform to protest against racial discrimination, as seen through her dancers wearing Black Panther berets and arranging themselves into the letter “X” for Malcolm X during her half-time performance. Beyoncé is a powerful artist that uses her voice and platform for critical movements. 

Greatest Hits: “Halo”, “Formation”, “Run the World (Girls)”

Honorable Mentions: Otis Blackwell, Tina Turner, Kendrick Lamar, Mariah Carey, N.W.A, James Brown, Bob Marley, Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Prince

Nancy is a fourth-year Communication and Political Science- Public Service Double Major at the University of California, Davis. She enjoys spending time with family, friends and her dog named Luna. Her experience of growing up in a Mexican household in Silicon Valley inspired her to be a curious leader and prompted her passion for technology, public service, and social impact. She strives to utilize her project management and communication skillsets to work with cross-functional teams and lead social change projects. She is currently seeking employment opportunities within technology.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!