Is Binge Watching a Waste of Time?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It’s no secret that the Netflix/Hulu/online streaming culture runs rampant through college campuses, and still I’ve heard plenty of people tell me that binge watching TV shows is a waste of time. Do I agree with them? Yes, sometimes setting aside time to watch Friends can be a waste of time when I need to write a paper, and sure, research shows that watching TV can be harmful to your overall health. But at the end of the day, I can’t help but defend my need to binge watch, and here’s why:

Sometimes we all need a break from our own lives. 

Amid the stress that comes with midterms, homework, and being involved extra-curricular activities, it’s clear that we could all use a break once in a while. For some people that break entails reading or napping. For me, it’s watching a show on Netflix. I want to get away from my test-taking assignment-cranking mindset and go to a simpler place, like Stars Hollow of Gilmore Girls or Grey Sloan Memorial of Grey’s Anatomy. Of course I could spend my time doing something more productive (to be fair though, I sometimes watch Netflix as I clean so that’s justifiable right?), but I think it’s more than okay to remove yourself from the work grind for an episode or two of whatever show you want to watch throughout the quarter.

Because TV reminds you that there’s an exciting world outside of college.

For me, it’s easy to stay in the little bubble that is UCD. I have tunnel vision throughout the quarter, constantly thinking about what I can do next in order to not fall behind. But what TV does for me, is remind me that there are things outside of UCD. It’s fun to encounter new situations without leaving Davis. And sometimes, after watching TV, I get motivated to go out and explore the world on my own (shout out to Fuller House for making me want to go to San Francisco more often). It’s good to remember that the world doesn’t only revolve around college life.

And sometimes, TV just lets me live in an idealistic world.

This may just be the Millennial in me talking, but I like watching TV shows because everything has a resolution by the end of the episode. The girl gets the guy, the guy gets the job, the protagonist saves the day, etc. It’s a simple reminder that all the problems in the world can be solved and that nothing is too much for me to handle. If said TV-character could handle it, why can’t I? It’s nice to let my mind live in an idealistic world for a while, where people’s problems are short-term—but it’s also good to remember that all my problems are short-term as well, and that eventually, they’ll be solved too. 

So binge-watching here and there might not be so bad after all.

*Note: I’m sorry if I helped justify someone’s addiction to Netflix/Hulu even more… But also, you’re welcome.

Alida Araica attended UC Davis and graduated with a BA in English and minors in communication and technology management. Alida is passionate about 90's rom-coms, skin-care, iced coffee and running.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!