The Best Tourist Attractions in Davis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

We all have those friends who, after months of prodding and begging, finally make the effort to visit us. They’re excited to see what Davis is all about, so it really sucks when we draw a blank after showing them the cows, the water tower, and a short strip of the Arboretum. Here’s a TripAdvisor-savvy guide that will help your friends have the best Davis experience possible!

1) It’s not just about the cows!

Walk a little further down La Rue, past the cows, and take a look at the horses and llamas. Not only can you take funny pictures with them, you can also walk right across the street to the Arboretum’s hidden gazebo in the Carolee Shields White Flower Garden. (Protip: Check your weather app for sunset time. You won’t regret it!)

2) The Tile Wall

Also located in the Arboretum near the gazebo, you’ll find the perfect bathroom break area. The tile wall is covered in different types of flowers with each of their scientific species’ named to the tee. It’s another perfect photo op and also a great opportunity to see the student-created live walls (which hipster restaurants and cafes really enjoy).

3) What About the Food?

Downtown Davis has a large variety of chain-food and locally owned restaurants. Try the chicken shwarma at Sam’s Mediterrnean Cuisine or the lamb burger at Burgers and Brew!

4) Still have energy?

If you’re 21, you’re in luck! Downtown Davis is the place to be at night! While there aren’t a lot of clubs, there are several bars and restaurants that turn into the Davis clubbing scene. Make sure to hit up Froggy’s for some karaoke, Ketmoree for the most club-like scene and Top 50 Hits, Our House for your EDM-fix, Tres Hermanas for some reggae and rap, and Wunderbar for a quirky vibe and the shortest bathroom line.

5) Tap into your inner pianist…

…by making your way downtown…and playing on the community piano near Mishka’s, the railroad tracks, or in Central Park. All are perfectly tuned, music-major approved (no prior music training required).

6) Let’s get Artsy and Color Me Mine

Downtown Davis has tons of wonderful wall art and sculptures. For instance, check out the one right behind ACE Hardware. It’s super fun and interactive. You can definitely “feel the rainbow” when you snap a pic of it.

7) The Farmer’s Market

If you happen to catch this festive event on a Wednesday or Saturday, you’re in luck! The fresh-pressed apple juice is to die for, and what better way to snack than on locally-grown, organic fruit. You can also learn how kettle corn is made and interact with the calm and friendly Davis community!

Hi, my name is Wendy Hwong and I am currently a fourth-year Communication Studies and Cognitive Science major at the University of California, Davis. In my free time, I enjoy long talks and study sessions in hole-in-wall coffee shops, hiking scenic trails, finding foodie hubs, DIY projects, reading, blogging every so often, and trying to stay fit. On my campus, I am involved in the Professional Sorority and Fraternity Council for Phi Alpha Delta, am a notetaker for the Student Disability Center, and run the publicity campaign for Relay for Life. Writing is one of my passions because it is one of the best ways I have found to connect with others and gives me the ability to create something completely original.
Megan Taylor Hartenstein is an English major and Women's Studies minor at the University of California, Davis. Give her something to write with, and she'll create a masterpiece. While she loves journalism and writing short stories, her dream is to become a television or film writer. Megan is a proud feminist, and loves to incorporate feminist principles in everything she writes.