diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Being Direct in Dating Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Dating is hard. But why is it hard? A main reason contributing to problems among daters is that people aren’t upfront with each other.

In the hookup culture we live in, it’s normal to be with multiple people at once, and to have feelings for two people at the same time. There’s nothing wrong with that, but it can get very messy, very quickly.

So, in order to help both yourself and the person you’re talking to, try your best to be direct.

How can you be direct?

By the second or third date, it’s probably a good idea to develop some kind of understanding between you and the person you’re dating regarding where you see things going. If you are looking for something long term and serious, make that clear. If you are looking for a casual fling, say so. You never know, the other person may want the same thing as you! If not, at least you’re not wasting someone else’s time.

Why is being direct important?

Being on the same page as the other person is important, and it prevents people from getting led on. It’s unfortunate when you think a relationship is headed in one direction when it’s really going in another. This is when dating gets stressful and disappointing, which is why it’s important to be clear about your intentions. Trust is the foundation of any good relationship, and you can’t have that without being honest and straightforward.

My name is Rojan Zarei and I am a second year Managerial Economics major at UC Davis. I've found a passion in getting to know who I am, learning about life, and sharing that with others! What better way to do that than write about what I've learned so others can hopefully benefit from it as well!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!