emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Because It’s About the Little Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The holiday season is finally upon us. We all rush to get the perfect gifts, the perfect outfit, and the perfect pictures (and some of us maybe even try to avoid a certain family member or two). Either way, the holiday season causes us to become preoccupied and we forget to appreciate the little things. So, without a further ado, here are a few things you should remember to think about this holiday season:

Hearing From an Old Friend

It’s the perfect time the call a friend you perhaps have not seen since the summer! Give them a call, a snap, or text to remind them that you are there and that you wish them a good holiday season. That’s the beauty of the holidays; it’s a reason to bring everyone together.

Complimenting a Stranger 

Whether you give it to someone or vice versa, it is always a nice, simple way to brighten up someone’s day. Perhaps you are holiday shopping and see an employee with a very nice outfit under that apron… let them know! It’s highly possible they might have have had or will have a long day with the holiday chaos, so a nice little compliment won’t hurt.

That Limited-Edition Holiday Drink

Treat yourself, honey! Yes, sometimes they can run a bit on the pricey side, but treat yourself to just one at least. If anyone gives you flack for liking a holiday drink, it’s okay! They’re just jelly because they don’t know how to feel holiday cheer, one small sip at a time. If you are one of those individuals who do not like holiday drinks, that’s cool too! Maybe you can brighten up someone’s day with a warm peppermint mocha.

Holiday Music

Okay, regardless of whose side of the argument you are on (whether it’s to play holiday music the moment the clock hit 12:00 AM on November 1st, or if you prefer for it to play the moment it hits 12:00 AM on November 24th) it’s all good! You play that music, as it only comes once a year, and enjoy it. Play some soothing holiday music while wrapping presents, petting your furry friend, or simply looking out the window to enjoy the view outside.

The Views

If you live in the few nice, snowy areas of California, good for you, hun! Enjoy the snow and how the sun reflects on it, making it look like beautiful crystals all around, or how it falls from the sky, giving you that perfect little shiver.

But, if you are like me and you’re from a non-snowy place in California, we’ve got our own little things to enjoy. Look at the lights displayed all across town, find the best houses (that they even advertise about on social media!) and feel free to take that Instagram-worthy pic (no one will judge). We only get to see these cute adorable decorations for about a month, so enjoy them!

Decorating

Regardless of your background or culture, you can probably enjoy some decorating. Go out there with your family and start untangling those lights that you could have sworn you left in a perfect state a year ago when they were put into storage. Find a gingerbread house and decorate it! If you have any little siblings, give them a smile and appreciate those little creations they make at school to bring home, no matter how… creative they are. Oh, and be very careful not to break your mother’s favorite ornament!

That One Holiday Deal

With the holiday season, there comes a lot of deals, some of them worth it and some of them not. Though, if you have done your research and you see that one item you’ve wanted for a while, you should certainly treat yourself. As my lovely mother says, “If it’s on sale, you get it!” However, don’t take my mother’s advice too seriously, or else you may spend a little too much money.

That One Holiday Meal

They only come once a year, ladies and gentleman, so please enjoy them and stuff your tummies full until next year because you will not see a spread like this for a while. My family is Hispanic, and we have a major tamale-making party. Help your family out and make your own holiday food-making party and enjoy it! Plus, if you are helping, maybe you can set a few extras aside just for you.

I wish you nothing but the best this holiday season, enjoy all things big and small, and make sure to take care of yourself!

Cover image source: Pexels

Joyce is a third year studying Communication at UC Davis and is from Tracy, CA. Joyce enjoys musical theatre, reading anything from classics and current bestsellers, eating pizza and cheesecake, all while waiting for the next and final episode of the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!