Bar Hopping: Mixed Drinks 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Whether it’s girls’ night out, someone’s 21st or just the weekend, going and finding “the one” is important. Nope, I am not talking about boys but yummy drinks that you can’t put down (plus you’re not going to find “the one” at the bar). Being an alcohol snob, I am extremely picky with what lands on my tongue. Thinking I would share my wisdom, I have compiled a list of best drinks that downtown has to offer. You can’t start off a night with a bad drink. It never ends well.

Ketmo: Ketmoree, for those of you who must pronounce the last syllable, has, by far, the best drinks. They also have the best bartenders too (Hi Neil! Hi AJ!). And it doesn’t stop there, every Thursday through Saturday, when the clock strikes ten, all drinks are $4.00. Yes, you read that right. Best drinks: Pomegranate Martini, Hard Thai Iced Tea, Red Rocket

Sophia’s: Fun, quaint, and loud, plus the drinks are always good. And always pricy. But hey, if it’s the day your shining face entered this world then you’re in luck. Spin the wheel and get a free shot on your birthday. Should the atmosphere get hot, head to the patio and continue your drunken rampage. Best drinks: Any and all mojitos (ask for light mint), Bloody Mary, Mudslide.

Bernardo’s: Famous for their Wiki Wacky Woo, not buying is a local offense. Though a Sex on the Beach might look prettier, this drink will most likely get you on the path of buzzed-ness sooner rather than later. Best drinks: Wiki, Sex on the Beach, Lemon Drop

Vito’s: Pizza by day, bar by night. Though I can’t pretend to say I have actually had a mixed drink from here, the shots and other chug-worthy drinks are a must. Best drinks: Cherry Bomb, Sweet Tart, Gummi Bear shot.

Applebee’s: So it’s not neatly placed downtown, but you can’t beat their happy hour prices. Their $3.00 margaritas and LITs are especially appealing to my wallet. You can also add any flavoring to them. Best drinks: Margaritas on the rocks or blended, mango LIT, Irish Car Bombs.

For those who want beer, I can’t help you there. The idea of that brown liquid within a mile of me makes me want to cut my tongue off, but, I suppose you could check out the Grad or DeVere’s.

Happy bar hopping! Drink (somewhat) responsibly.

Jessica is currently studying Graphic Design and Psychology at UC Davis. She hopes to one day move to New York and work for a fashion or fitness magazine. When she is not dreaming about her life in New York, she is either running, watching shows on hulu, socializing or baking cupcakes. She loves anything that will make her laugh, sunny days  and everything purple!