This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Many months ago, my opinion on making Spotify playlists was unwavering with little room for change. I did not understand the purpose of creating playlists as I had the ability to play any song I desired at my fingertips, so why did I need to create playlists? I thought it to be time consuming so, I did not plan on changing my mind, and whenever people asked me why I didn’t make playlists, I would simply reply saying that I just queue up the songs I want to listen to right when I want to. And to me, that made perfect sense. I could listen to any song I desired at my leisure.

It was not until the summer before this academic year that someone convinced me to change my ways. I was hanging out with some of my coworkers in the residence halls (because I worked as an orientation leader over the summer) and someone asked me to connect my phone to my speaker. I obliged while queuing up songs I felt were fit for the atmosphere. We were all tired from the long day, but also simultaneously feeling nostalgic as our jobs as 2018 orientation leaders were coming to a bittersweet end. As I continued to add songs to the queue, we relaxed, waiting for our next shift. By the time we all had to get back to work, we gathered ourselves and made the infamous trek to the Mondavi Center. However, as we were walking, one of my friends said, “Hey Madi, what playlist was that? I loved it.” This was the moment when I began to hone my playlist making skills.Making playlists has become my ultimate source of happiness and self-care during these rainy Davis days that seem to be relentless this quarter. When I have a break in my schedule, I try to use the time to de-stress by listening to music and discovering new songs that I have never heard before. It’s the perfect way to create a new playlist to fit whatever mood I am feeling at the moment.Granted, this new pastime has resulted in my Spotify account racking up more than 20+ playlists, and considering the amount of emotions and moods college students feel on a daily basis, there are more to come. I have found that making playlists is less for myself and more for others, which is why I started making playlists in the first place. I used to see music as something for myself that I could listen to on my own, but it is also a way to make connections with others. This hobby, which I previously deemed as a waste of my time, has enhanced and even begun some of my closest friendships here at UC Davis. Music is a medium of expression, and although I don’t play an instrument, and can’t sing… at all, I still have the opportunity to embrace all that music has to offer, and then share it with others.

Madi is currently a fourth-year student at UC Davis majoring in English and Poltical Science. She is currently a marketing intern for the Mondavi Center at UC Davis. Her favorite hobbies are reading, making Spotify playlists, and grabbing lattes with her girls! 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!