Anti-Trump? Donate to These Charities for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

For many people, the election of Donald Trump as our next president brought a lot of unpleasant emotions: fear, anger, disbelief, dismay. That’s understandable; to be perfectly frank, I think his actions just in the few weeks since his election have clearly proven the “let’s be optimistic and maybe things won’t be so bad” camp to be the equivalent of an ostrich sticking its head into the sand.

Speaking for myself, November 8—and the weeks since then—have made me cynical about all sorts of things. But I’m determined not to let myself become resigned. In many ways, deciding that the world is just bad and there is nothing we can do about it is just as misguided—and self-serving—as going out of your way to ignore red flag after red flag. It is a demonstrable fact that humans are capable of improving the world, and what’s more, we have to keep doing it. Call your representatives. For the love of all that is good, vote in the midterm elections. And since ’tis the season for giving, please consider making a donation against hate for the holidays. A donation to a worthy charity that does work to make sure the Trump administration won’t do too much harm could make a great present for a loved one, or if you have a relative who’s a bigot, you could donate in their name.

If you’re worried that the Trump administration would threaten women’s reproductive rights, donate to Planned Parenthood (and yes, you can make the donation in Mike Pence’s name.)

If you’re worried that Trump’s rhetoric and appointment of a white nationalist will continue to encourage hate crimes against minority groups, donate to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

If you’re worried that Vice President Mike Pence and the GOP platform will set back LGBTQIA rights, donate to the Human Rights Campaign.

If you’re worried that the Trump transition team’s endorsement of climate change denial will result in harmful environmental policy, donate to the National Resources Defense Council.  

If you’re worried that the Trump administration will threaten the rights of immigrants, donate to the National Immigration Law Center.  

If you’re worried that Trump’s bizarre tweets complaining about freedom of speech, freedom of press, and freedom of assembly could suggest a threat to civil liberties, donate to the American Civil Liberties Union.   

If you’re worried that a Trump administration would turn away Syrian refugees, donate to the International Refugee Assistance Project.   

And finally, if you’re worried that having a self-described serial sexual predator in the Oval Office would worsen rape culture, donate to the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network.  

These images are not the property of Her Campus.

Aimee Lim is a junior at UC Davis, pursuing an English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing as well as a minor in Biology. Besides writing and editing for Her Campus at UCD, she is interning as a middle school's teacher's assistant and for the McIntosh & Otis Literary Agency. She also volunteers for the UCD Center for Advocacy, Research, and Education (CARE), which combats campus sexual assault, domestic/dating violence, and stalking. An aspiring novelist, her greatest achievement is an honorable mention in the Lyttle Lytton "Worst Opening Lines to a (Fictional) Novel" contest. Besides writing, she loves reading, movies, music, women's history, and feminism.Follow her blog at https://lovecaution.wordpress.com.  
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!