Life > Academics

An English Major’s 7-Step Guide to Handling Heavy Reading Loads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

If you’ve ever taken a college-level English course, you’re probably all-too-familiar with the extensive assigned reading list that consists of numerous books, literary essays, or poems listed on the syllabus. Oftentimes, many English professors move at a brisk pace, and more so if you’re learning in a quarter system. Most of the instructors I’ve had in the past usually expect students to finish a novel in a week and multiple sonnets before the start of lecture. If you were to take multiple English courses simultaneously, the accumulated assigned readings can add up to a dense mountain of text that seems impossible to conquer. 

If this is a concern for you, don’t fear! As a third-year English major, I’ve taken it upon myself to create a seven-step guide to help you effectively balance heavy reading loads for any courses you may encounter, English major or not. 

Step 1: Compile all of Your Assigned Readings into a Calendar 

The first thing you need to do is to take a look at all your course syllabi and take note of all your assigned readings and their due dates. An excellent way to compile all your assigned readings is to input them into a planner or a digital calendar such as Google Calendar to keep track of your readings. Personally, I use Notion to assist me in completing my readings and assignments in a timely manner. A helpful Notion template for college students can be found here and it can also be modified to your liking. 

Step 2: Create a Reading Schedule 

Now that you have all your readings and due dates compiled, it’s time to draft up a reading schedule so you can complete your readings on time. Look at specific readings you have to do for the week to see how many chapters or pages you have to read. From there, split up all your readings equally throughout the week so that you don’t overwhelm yourself with an absurd amount of reading. Try to prioritize based on the immediacy of the due date, as well as the level of difficulty of the reading. Lastly, keep in mind your reading pace when creating this schedule. 

Step 3: Examine how you best read 

Once you have a reading schedule in place, it’s time for you to actually do the reading. You could read books in the traditional manner or you could opt for audiobooks. Another option is to combine both these mediums by following along with an audiobook narration while physically reading the book. It’s up to you to choose whichever option works best for you to digest the content. 

To assist in effectively reading, it is also necessary to create a good reading environment. If you find yourself easily distracted, try finding a quiet secluded place in your room to read. If you’re put off by silence, try putting on some white-noise or lo-fi music, or consider going out to public spaces to read. 

Step 4: Be Proactive and Stay Ahead of Your Readings

The goal of this guide is to ultimately complete your readings ahead of when your lecture begins so as to have a solid understanding of what your professor will be presenting. Try to carve out some free time throughout the week or on the weekends to get ahead of tackling your readings. By getting your readings done ahead of class time, you enter lectures much more prepared to contribute to class discussions and also have the opportunity to gain a deeper look into your reading rather than just first learning about it. 

Step 5: Annotate to Read Effectively 

While you’re reading, it’s important to not only grasp the content of the book but to also take note of certain passages to reference when in lecture. I would suggest using sticky tabs, highlighters, and post-it notes to annotate and mark up your text as you read. Active reading is key, so try to interact with the text as much as possible. Ask questions, note down interesting ideas or symbols you notice, highlight main ideas or themes, circle confusing concepts, etc. 

Step 6: When in Doubt, Skim

Many people may frown upon the idea of skimming, but there will come times when it’s not possible to complete your reading on time. In those situations, it’s best to just skim through the first and last few chapters, while focusing on particular words or symbols that stand out to you. There’s also no shame in using SparkNotes, CliffsNotes, or LitCharts to read summaries of your texts whenever you’re in a pinch. 

Step 7: Remember to Take Breaks and Relax 

Always prioritize your well-being over completing readings. If you’re feeling overwhelmed or burned out, step back and take a break. Reading while tired or stressed doesn’t help your well-being or your reading comprehension, so it’s best to just give yourself some time to decompress and relax before going back into reading. 

Hopefully, you found this guide helpful and I wish you good luck on your reading journey!

Vivian is an English major at UC Davis. In her spare time, she enjoys watching Studio Ghibli movies, attempting new recipes she finds online, and fiercely debating strangers on the validity of pineapples on pizza.