This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Name: Adam Darbonne
Year: 4th
Major: Religious Studies and History
Hometown: San Mateo, CA

If you have ever been to a sports event at UC Davis, then you know the Aggie Pack Emcee. The one painted in blue and gold, wearing crazy outfits, and leading the crowd along in cheers as the Aggies stomp out the competition. That energetic and outgoing emcee is Adam Darbonne and when he’s not in front of the student section getting you pumped up, he’s living his life for God.

When Darbonne came to UC Davis as a freshman he was sure about two things; he wanted to be involved with sports and he wanted to be plugged into a Christian community. His freshman year he heard about volunteering for the Aggie Pack which led to an internship with the UC Davis Marketing Promotions Department as an Athletics Promotions Intern. “We do rallies at elementary and middle schools aimed to teach children about eating right, exercising, and keeping up with school, so they can go to college. We also do events like the Fan Fest event on Picnic Day, and in the past, we have done the event to break the world record for the world’s largest bike parade,” explained Darbonne.

When the department started looking in house for a new emcee for games, rallies, promotions, and orientation, Darbonne stepped up for the job. “Emceeing in front of the crowd is the best part of the internship by far. Every game takes quite a bit of ramping up. If I get up there and I don’t have very much energy the crowd will just be dead, so it’s all about making sure everyone is having a good time and that I’m building a relationship with the crowd. It’s all about having fun in that student section. Being up in front is exhilarating,  and I end up running a mile or two back and forth in front of the crowd. There really is nothing like the feeling of yelling at a group of 5,000 students and them all yelling back at you,” describes Darbonne.

Not everyone has that command and charisma in front of a crowd and Darbonne has a passion and a calling that will put that developed talent to good use. After graduation this summer, Darbonne plans to intern in Wisconsin at a church. “I’ll be interning under a pastor. That’s what I want to do is become a pastor. I will be doing quite a bit of preaching to his church and other churches in the area. Learn from him how to preach and follow him around to meetings and get to see what the every day life is like for a pastor. I will get to spend quite a bit of time with his family too to see what it is like to be a father and a husband. They told me they will keep me as long as I want to stay, so I could potentially be there longer,” Darbonne elaborated.

Darbonne will apply to several seminary programs including some in Wisconsin, Chicago, Southern California, and at Princeton and Oxford to receive a Masters in Divinity. “I grew up in a Christian home, but since coming to college and going through College Life, my faith has really grown. I have seen what God has done in my life. The way God has extended grace in my life has totally transformed my life, and so I want to become a pastor so that I can share that. Certainly becoming a pastor is not the only way to share this, but I feel called to it. I feel God has really put this on my heart and given me the skill set to do that. It’s funny because when I was in high school I was a totally different person. I was really quiet and everyone finds that hard to believe. I have seen my personality and skill set totally transform, and I don’t see another way that is possible besides God. I really feel called to this,” explained Darbonne.

The path to Wisconsin and eventually seminary school started with College Life, a college fellowship program that is part of the First Baptist Church of Davis. Darbonne has found a mentor, the college pastor, and a community on campus that he can grow and transform with. “Dan has been one of the most influential people in my college career. Instrumental really in walking me through my college years. What’s great about College Life is that we are all going through a transforming process together. We hold each other accountable and encourage each other. I can’t talk enough about the community.” Darbonne has taken preaching classes through the fellowship that have taught him how to take stories from the Bible and apply them to the lives of people.

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.