This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Dear Freshman Me,

Your first year at UC Davis is something you never expected and will never forget. Your first year was a wild ride (to say the least) but in the best way possible. You learned so much about yourself, those around you, and just the world in general. To ease your nerves going into your freshman year, here are some of the best things that happened.

(1) Random Roommates!

I know you’re currently extremely anxious about your roommate situation because you decided to go random and have no idea what to expect. You got placed in a triple, when you so desperately wanted the coveted Segundo double. Your freshman-year roommates are without a doubt the two best people you will meet all of freshman year. Thanks to Mel and Mackenzie, you stayed somewhat sane in the midst of heartbreak, friendship breakups, family problems, copious mental breakdowns, and academic stress. I don’t think getting Mel and Mackenzie as your roommates was due to luck. I truly think it was meant to be and I wouldn’t have wanted to share a shoebox-sized room with anyone else.

(2) Changing Your Major

I think you’ll be shocked to find out that computer science does not end up working out. You will spend countless nights having mental breakdowns over the uncertainty of what career you want to pursue. When this happens, take a moment to breathe, trust yourself, and listen to your heart. There are so many interesting classes to take at Davis and it is so important to explore all these options. I’m here to tell you that everything ends up working out and you’ll be happier than ever with your newly chosen major. Because you took the time to explore different GEs you ended up discovering what you were really passionate about.

(3) Saying Yes

You entered freshman year with an open mind, open to new friendships and experiences. You learned to stop thinking so practically and started spontaneously saying yes to opportunities that arose. Some of your best memories and friendships are going to come from the nights you least expected. If there’s one thing you should take away from your future self, it’s to say yes more because in a blink of an eye your freshman year is going to be over. Once it is over, you will constantly reflect back and wish you took more advantage of the time.

Freshman year will be a year of growth in all aspects of your life. You will be surrounded by some of the best people you have ever met. It is also one of the scariest times of your life with so much uncertainty. Take one day at a time, live in the moment, cherish all the memories, and be thankful for all of it because this is one of the last times you have to be a kid. Since I’m currently writing this letter, it means we survived freshman year!

Enjoy Cowtown,

Sara <3

I'm a second year student at UC Davis. I am double majoring in Communications and Managerial Economics with the hopes of pursuing a career in Marketing. In my free time, I like going to the beach, playing soccer, and spending time with friends.