This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

April 27th, 2023 until May 4th, 2023 cast a dark and eerie shadow of devastation and fear over the Davis community. Not only were three individuals viciously stabbed, but two individuals were lost to this malice and we mourn their loss and final moments. One of those taken from our community was David Breaux, also known to Davis as the “Compassion Guy.” For roughly 15 years, David has stood on the corner of Central Park and asked those passing by what their idea of compassion was. His hope was that in asking people to share their ideas on compassion, they would embody more compassionate lives and act more compassionately towards others. His purpose was a beautiful manifestation of what compassion is. 

I believe that compassion means many things, like poetry for one person is words on a page while for others poetry is the magic moments that happen every day by simply living. Compassion is a feeling of love and care for others that extends into action; the feeling carries forward into an exchange of peace, kindness, empathy, and love. Compassion can be felt and exchanged by anything living, whether that be people, animals, or even trees; it is an element of unrestrained love and generosity that knows no bounds. I think that is why it is so special and so necessary. We need to allow ourselves more space and time for compassion towards others in our lives; a simple exchange could change someone’s day, like saving a bee from drowning or helping someone stand after they fall. Compassion is recognizing someone or something as it is and actively and intentionally choosing to spend some of our time supporting them with affection, recognition, and a lack of judgment.

While our beloved Compassion Guy rests in our hearts and can no longer stand at the corner, which is now adorned with a compassion bench and flowers for his spiritual journey, I thought I would offer the opportunity to see some of my fellow peers’ thoughts on compassion. While David might not be able to continue his work, he planted the seed of a marvelous tree where the work will always continue. 

Below are other UC Davis students’ thoughts on compassion in honor of David Breaux’s contribution to our lives and in an effort to continue his mission: 

“When I first hear the word compassion I picture an individual who is in need [of] simply receiving a hug from another individual. This may seem slightly oversimplified, but I believe that compassion always begins with an acknowledgment of the humanity and dignity of the person in need of compassion. What better way to exemplify this than through the warm embrace of a hug. I also believe that true compassion is always coupled with some level of action on behalf of the hurting or needy person. This could be as simple as listening [to] and affirming their experience or it could look like a simple gift or offering to buy them lunch. So in short — compassion is the awareness of the humanity of an individual and taking action on behalf of that individual so that they feel seen, valued, heard, and loved.” – Anonymous

“Compassion is unconditional warm regard without expectations for reciprocated emotion or action. Compassion invokes empathy and the recognition that people come from unique backgrounds and experiences, but deserve to be treated with respect and warmth. Compassion is approaching people and situations with positivity, warmth, respect, and a recognition that we do not always know the extent or causes of someone’s experiences.” – Anonymous

“Compassion is the cornerstone of what makes us human. [Compassion is] the love and the care that we hold towards others.” – Anonymous

“Compassion is a true appreciation and acceptance of all the different people you encounter. It is a rejection of judgment in interaction and an appreciation for the complex human existence.” – Anonymous

“In the affix, ‘co-‘ or ‘com’ mean[ing] cooperative, communicative, communion — as in, this is a collaborative activity, and not the transactional you-get-something / I-get-something kind; it’s the free and effortless bike home with your friends or offering a ride — because care work cares for everyone and seeks everyone’s flourishing in however they flourish in community — compassion — ‘com’ it is essentially and genuinely togetherness.” – Anonymous

“Compassion to me always meant more than just being kind or considerate towards others, it’s being kind or considerate towards someone despite first impressions of them or the instant assumptions we make about someone.” – Anonymous

David was central to the local Davis community, but I encourage those near and far to consider his purpose and embody it in some way. May we manifest a more compassionate world in honor of a man dedicated to kindness and simplicity. May the way he was taken from this life be nullified by the love his life and purpose birthed. 

Sage R.J. Lang is a fourth year at UC Davis, majoring in Sociology with a minor in Education. Sage has pursued their undergraduate degree while traveling abroad, including Davis, Santa Barbara, Washington D.C., and most recently Thailand. Sage has been writing since 2015 and looks forward to sharing their voice with the readers of Her Campus before graduating and pursuing their many career dreams. While Sage's focus is more usually creative prose, they look forward to expanding their horizons towards a more journalistic and personal style. Sage hopes to improve the experiences of current, new, and incoming Davis Aggies with their articles and looks forward to engaging with campus doing something they love deeply.