Life > Experiences

9 DIY Gifts to Celebrate Your Gals for Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and it’s important to remember that it isn’t just about significant others, but about cherishing all of the important people in your lives. And while you don’t need a holiday to celebrate your friendships, there’s nothing like a good old Galentine’s Day gathering to have some wholesome bonding. For all the gals in your life, here are 9 simple but sweet DIY gifts to remind your friends just how important and special they are.

1. Marble Dip-Dyed Mug

Image source: House of Hipsters

This marble dip-dyed mug is the perfect gift for any of your tea or coffee loving friends. Plus, it’s extremely simple to make ─ all you need is a mug, some nail polish, a small container, a toothpick, and some paper towels. Fill the mug with some chocolates or face masks to make a miniature self-care kit. You can also DIY personalized mugs with Sharpies.

2. Hogwarts House Scarf Bookmark

Image source: 5 Little Monsters

If you have a Harry Potter fan or major bookworm in your life, this is the gift for them. Whether you have experience crocheting or have been meaning to give it a try, these are quick and easy to make, and are the perfect reading accessory.

3. Tropical Leaf Trinket Dishes

Image source: Lia Griffith

These tropical leaf trinket dishes are beautiful accents to a nightstand or dresser, perfect for catching loose change or earrings. All you really need is polymer clay and craft paint, and you can easily make these dishes for all your gals who love a good plant aesthetic.

4. Orange Green Tea Bath Salts

Image source: Wonder Forest

Scented salts are a wonderful gift for your friends and will help bring some relaxation and de-stressing into their lives. This specific combination of orange and green tea is good for your skin and will leave you feeling rejuvenated and refreshed. Plus, there are plenty of others you can make, including cucumber mint, rosemary lemon, and floral bath salts.

5. Picture Frame Dry Erase Board

Image source: One Little Project

These picture frame dry erase boards take almost no time to make, are pretty and customizable, and are the perfect gift for any friend in love with being organized. All you need is some scrapbook or wrapping paper and a picture frame, and voilá: a place to write to-do lists, grocery lists, or notes to housemates. Plus, you can even use larger frames for boards to hang on the wall.

6. Decorative Painted Bottles

Image source: Rustic Wedding Chic

If you don’t already save your empty wine bottles, it’s time to start. This craft is extremely easy and just requires paint to upcycle various bottles and jars. Once done, fill them with some fresh flowers to gift to your girls. You can also try a twist on this DIY using sea glass effect spray paint.

7. Travel Journal

Image source: A Pair & A Spare

If any of your friends are planning on studying abroad in the upcoming summer or quarter, this DIY travel journal is the perfect gift to help them document and remember their experiences. Bonus points if the map you use is of the area they plan to study or travel in.​

8. Teacup Succulent Planter

Image source: Happily Eva After

Give the gift of life to your plant lovers! These upcycled teacup succulent planters are cute and require minimal work. If you need to track some teacups down, try a thrift store to find cheap and unique ones for this project.​

9. Peppermint Lip Balm

Image source: Beautylish

Chapped lips are in abundance this season but regardless, lip balm is adored year-round, making it a superb Galentine’s Day gift. This peppermint lip balm only requires three ingredients and can be poured into an empty Altoids tin or unused contact lens cases. There are plenty of other flavors to choose from as well, ranging from coconut rose to vanilla lavender.​

Ann is a second year English and History double major at UC Davis and is interested in the way literature and writing empowers us to connect and empathize with other people. She is from Eureka, California where most days of the year are foggy and the trees grow taller than all the buildings. When she isn't buried in reading for classes, she's usually binge-watching tv shows and documentaries on Netflix and Hulu, eating an ungodly amount of breakfast food, or Facetiming her pets.