8 Unrealistic Romantic Themes of Bollywood Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Romantic Bollywood films depict some of the most unrealistic ways that a girl and guy fall in love, but we can’t help but smile and feel enchanted by the magic of it all.

Although much of Bollywood is fantasized, dramatized and often times, unreflective of the reality of society and culture in India, film is one of the most highly sought after forms of entertainment in the country. Over the last few decades, Bollywood movies have seen a dramatic rise in popularity among young adults around the world. Surprisingly enough, Bollywood films are consumed at an incredible rate in countries other than India such as Afghanistan, Indonesia and countries in Southeast Asia. I mean, who doesn’t love random dance breaks where every person walking down the street already knows the routine and can execute the moves with perfection? The way the male characters in these movies charm their way into the hearts of their heroine counterpart makes viewers swoon and get lost in the euphoria and idealism that surrounds these movies.

As someone who has grown up watching at least one Bollywood movie a week with my family, I’ve spent hours debating between which actor I was in love with more, SRK or Hrithik, as well as memorized the most dramatic, powerful monologues so I can try them out on my parents. But more importantly, I’ve seen many of the romantic themes and ideas about love put forth in these movies become engrained in the ways I form relationships and the expectations I hold from these relationships.

Bollywood’s goal isn’t to be realistic. It’s to create a fantasy or escape for people in a country that accounts for one third of the world’s poor population. To escape from the harsher realities of life, Indians and non-Indians around the world turn to these movies to take them to a place where action heroes can chase a car on rollerblades while holding an axe.

Here’s the checklist of the ingredients required to make the perfect Bollywood movie:

At first sight, guy falls in love with girl.

Girl is lost in her life and needs his help.

The guy will pamper and shower her with adoration.

The guy will beat up bad guys for her.

The girl’s parents won’t approve of him.

But he’ll write a romantic song or poem for her.

And finally, they get to end up together.

Maria is a fourth year at University of California, Davis where she is double majoring in Economics and Comparative Literature. When she's not studying for her classes or writing up an article, you can find her playing soccer with her friends, working with the UCD School of Education or chowing down on some delicious Thai food with her roommates.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!