7 Life Lessons from The Powerpuff Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

On April 4, Cartoon Network relaunched the classic cartoon The Powerpuff Girls. The original show was a masterpiece of action, comedy, and heart, but it also had three great role models who were not only superpowered but empowered. Here are 7 of the original series’ most uplifting messages.

1. There’s no right way to be a girl

Obviously, The Powerpuff Girls was all about girl power. “Girl” and “power” are two of the four words in the title. What’s especially refreshing, though, about the female empowerment exemplified by PPG is that there isn’t just one kind. Blossom wears pink and bows and is proud of how she looks, but that doesn’t mean she isn’t the smartest and the leader. Bubbles is the most stereotypically ‘girly’ and cries, but that doesn’t mean she’s a wimp—in fact, she might even be the toughest. On the other hand, Buttercup rejects traditional femininity entirely, and that’s okay too. The Powerpuff Girls teaches that girls don’t have to be feminine or pretty, but if they are, that doesn’t mean they can’t also be strong or smart.

2. Even superheroes get scared—you just have to face your fears

Even though The Powerpuff Girls are, well, The Powerpuff Girls, that doesn’t mean they don’t ever get scared or feel insecure. They’re realistic, relatable kids: Bubbles is afraid of the dark, Blossom is afraid of failure, and even badass Buttercup is terrified of spiders. But in the end, fear isn’t something to be ashamed of or a sign of weakness. Bravery doesn’t mean you’re never afraid: even the strongest people on the planet feel vulnerable. What’s important is being able to face your fears.

3. With great power comes great responsibility

While Superman irresponsibly caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people, The Powerpuff Girls learned in their very first adventure that violence has its consequences and even good intentions can have collateral damage. Being super doesn’t mean you can’t be held accountable for your actions—in fact, quite the opposite. But that doesn’t mean you have to repress what makes you special or wallow in guilt forever. The Powerpuff Girls Movie shows you how to take responsibility for your actions, instead of running away from them.      

4. Your sisters have your back

Between Batman vs. Superman and Captain America: Civil War, it seems that superheroes just can’t get along anymore. Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup bickered a lot, but they still loved each other and were able to put aside their childish squabbles to work as a team and come through for each other. The PPG were the original squad, with the sisterhood going beyond blood (or Chemical X) ties. The girls had great female role models of their own, like Ms. Bellum, the real brains behind Townsville. The series also exemplified female friendship, like the time Mojo Jojo infiltrated the girls’ slumber party and seemingly defeated them only for the ‘normal little girls’ to come to their rescue by pummeling him with pillows, or the time bratty Princess tried to turn their new friend Robin against them and failed.       

5. Boys might be bigger, but that doesn’t mean they’re better

In Marvel and DC’s movies, crimefighting is still largely a boys’ club. The Association of World Super Men was also a boys’ club, refusing to admit the PPG for sexist reasons even after they demonstrated that they were better heroes, until the girls saved them from alien invaders and the AWSA asked to join their club. Even the Rowdyruff Boys aren’t so tough when their masculinity is threatened (that’s not me trying to look for feminist symbolism, those are the exact words used in the episode).  

6. You can totally have it all

Batman and Spiderman struggle to balance being heroes and having normal lives, and real-life women still are often pressured to choose between career and family. But the Powerpuff Girls were able to juggle fighting crime and just being normal kids. Protecting Townsville is a big responsibility, but the PPG still have time to have backyard BBQs with the Professor or play Duck, Duck, Goose with their classmates at Pokey Oaks Kindergarten. Being a hero doesn’t mean you have to alienate your loved ones or not have any fun. You can have family, friends, and save the day.  

7. Love makes the world go round

Like all superhero media, the cartoon had a lot of fighting, but at the end, it was really about love. The Powerpuff Girls might be more powerful than anyone else in the show, but they had mutual, genuine love for the people of Townsville, for Professor Utonium, and of course, for each other. As a wise man once said, “The love you take is equal to the love you make.”

Aimee Lim is a junior at UC Davis, pursuing an English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing as well as a minor in Biology. Besides writing and editing for Her Campus at UCD, she is interning as a middle school's teacher's assistant and for the McIntosh & Otis Literary Agency. She also volunteers for the UCD Center for Advocacy, Research, and Education (CARE), which combats campus sexual assault, domestic/dating violence, and stalking. An aspiring novelist, her greatest achievement is an honorable mention in the Lyttle Lytton "Worst Opening Lines to a (Fictional) Novel" contest. Besides writing, she loves reading, movies, music, women's history, and feminism.Follow her blog at https://lovecaution.wordpress.com.  
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!