7 Halloween Movies for People Who Don’t Like Scary Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Apparently 21 is too old to go trick-or-treating, so Halloween options for us college kids are limited to either going to a party or staying in and watching movies with friends. I tend to prefer the latter option, but I’m not particularly fond of ~actual~ scary movies. As such, I’ve compiled a list of feel-good, beginner-scary, and funny movies that are safe for those of us who are just trying to have a good time.

Feel-Good

Halloweentown

This Halloween-classic chronicles the coming-of-age of a young witch who, with the help of her siblings and grandmother, works to save Halloweentown.

Hocus Pocus

This is probably one of the most iconic Halloween movies of all time (or, at least, to our generation). Three witch sisters are resurrected on Halloween night and intend to wreak havoc and terror, and it’ss up to two teenagers to stop them.

Twitches

Tia and Tamera Mowry star as two teen witches (“twitches,” if you may), who, after being separated at birth, meet on their 21st birthday and race to save their original world.

Scary for Beginners

Get Out

After having dated for a while, an African American man and a white woman finally visit the woman’s parents. The man is suspicious of her family’s exceedingly friendly and intense personalities, but little does he know what they’re actually up to.

The Sixth Sense

A struggling young boy, who, coincidentally, communicates with dead people who are unaware they are dead, becomes unlikely companions with a child psychologist stuck in a rut. 

Funny

Any of the Scary Movies

The Scary Movie series consists of five horror comedy parody movies following a group of unintelligent teens. I particularly like Scary Movie 2.

The Addams Family

This dark comedy film is about a supernatural family, the Addams family, and the reappearance of their long-lost Uncle Fester who suddenly reappears. He’s actually an imposter, but will the Addams family realize this in time?

Cover Photo Source: Beth Teutschmann

Nikki is a fourth year UC Davis student double majoring in English and Communication, and minoring in Professional Writing. Her passions include: puppies, Harry Styles, and Coke ICEEs. She thoroughly enjoys proofreading and hopes to somehow make a career out of it.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!