7 Easy Ways to Keep Up with Current Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It’s safe to say that, as college students, no newspaper is being dropped off at our door each morning. In between our classes, extra curricular activities, social lives, and some peace and relaxation, it’s hard to stay on top of everything going on outside of Davis. But it’s indisputable that it’s important to know what’s going on in the world to be active members of society – not to mention that if you’re in an interview it’s always a plus to pull out some knowledge to show that you’re up to date! Here are a few quick and easy platforms to help keep up with current events:

1. Unlimited Online Subscription to New York Times

The New York Times has been awarded more than any other news organization so this is a great way to stay on top of current events and get used to reading serious, focused, and important journalism. You can get a subscription on their site and have unlimited access for a small price every month or you can download the app on your phone which will give you an organized, yet limited, selection.

2. Business Insider App

This app brings breaking news and analysis right to your phone about topics from around the world.

3. Associated Press Mobile (AP Mobile)

This is the app for the company who boasts that it is where “the news gets its news”

4. Nuzzel

Social media for news sharing! The app filters what you and your friends read and notifies you when articles become popular.

5. Reddit

While it often has the reputation as the home for memes and procrastination, you can customize your profile to show only the certain subreddits and focus on headlines and important news updates. It can be accessed on your computer but if you mainly use your phone, consider getting an app like Alien Blue, which organizes your front page in an easy to use manner.

6. The Skimm

Wake up to the Skimm and start your day with a dose of witty, concise and informative updates from around the world. The newsletter was started by two women and provides a friendly platform that is approachable, descriptive, and easy to understand. It is a good resource for the key points of current events. As a bonus it also includes links to journalistic companies that include in-depth analysis.

7. TheLi.st

Created by two female journalists, this newsletter is sent to your email a few times a week and updates subscribers on achievements and accomplishments by women as well as important facts that every woman should know. Subscribing is a great way to stay in touch with issues in the female community. 

Other easy and familiar ways to get updated would be to follow any news corporation on Twitter, or to peruse the “Discover” section on the Snapchat app!

Bonus: Garagiste is a newsletter that sends daily offers for wine and food from around the world. You’re welcome.        

I am a 22 year old senior who enjoys watching Friends with a glass of wine. Currently in the process of figuring out Adulthood. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!