5 Ways Davis is Like Disneyland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

UCD might as well stand for UC Disneyland! Here’s a few reasons why UC Davis is that much closer to being the Happiest Place on Earth!

1. Actual Disney World fire hydrant (possibly?)

Next to King Hall, a white fire hydrant sits in the Arboretum; look closely at the label and you’ll see it says Walt Disney World! No one is entirely sure where it came from, but it remains a subtle but unique addition to the campus.

2. Famous Pineapple Dole Whip from Yoloberry and Cultive

As the summer weather rapidly approaches, so does the appearance of the formerly Disneyland-exclusive Mango and Pineapple Dole Whip at Yoloberry and Cultive! Pro: you get to skip the never-ending line for this refreshing snack, unlike outside Tiki Room in Adventureland. Con: singing parrots are not included with purchase.

3. Picnic Day = Happiest Place on Earth

Every April for 102 consecutive years, the streets of Davis become as lively as the parades that take place on Main Street USA! The entire neighborhood comes together to celebrate the arrival of spring, and challenge Disneyland’s title; between the dachshund races, parades, delicious food and smiles, how could Davis on Picnic Day not be the Happiest Place on Earth?

4. THE SMILES

Speaking of smiles–they are ever-present on the faces of Davis students, staff, and residents. UC Davis is known for its positive mental health rating, and it’s apparent in the friendliness that parallels the joy shared by park attendees and staff members of Disneyland.

5. We’re basically Critter Country, Frontierland, and Tomorrowland mixed together

We get a bit of our Critter Country from the Arboretum, a bit of Frontierland from the western cowboy culture associated with the Ag and Animal Science programs, and the excitement of Tomorrowland from all the advanced technology developed at Davis!

Elizabeth is a Nutrition in Public Health major and active member of Alpha Chi Omega. She joined HerCampus as a creative outlet amongst all of her science classes. With her remaining 3 years at UC Davis, she hopes to take a selfie with a squirrel, successfully nap in a quad hammock, become a Cal Aggie Camp counselor (✔), study abroad in Japan, and finish all the Aggie Traditions.  You can find her at the CoHo, heaphones blasting a hip-hop playlist to study to, with books and and vanilla latte keeping her company. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!