you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips for Getting Your Dream Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Applying to internships is a long and stressful process for all students. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed and lost in a sea of well-qualified applicants, but don’t underestimate yourself! With the right tools and the right mindset, you can make it so that you’re sure to be a competitive candidate. Here are a few ways you can boost your resume and self-confidence during the job search, and hopefully land the internship you’ve been aiming for!

1. Don’t limit yourself.

One of the biggest pitfalls students face when applying to internships is not applying to nearly as many as they should. While you shouldn’t apply to every position that catches your eye, it is important to not have your heart set on a single company, position or internship in particular. Approach the job search with an open mind and be flexible with your options. Although being rejected from a particular internship you truly wanted may dishearten you, you’ll have more options in the long run if you apply to several!

2. Use campus resources.

It’s important to have more than one set of eyes looking at your resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile. Many college campuses have internship and career centers with advisers who are trained to offer resume and career advice. It’s important to not only drop-in once but several times with these advisors to ensure your resume is the best it can be.

It’ll also be helpful to talk to professors who have worked in your field of interest and how they would tailor their resume to fit a particular position or industry.

3. Be critical, but not overly critical. 

It’s crucial to look at your resume with a critical eye. While you may find little to no errors in your resume and other job application supplements, it’s key to think like an employer. Consider what your employer would want to see in your resume or LinkedIn profile by paying special attention to how you would fit the job description best.

Additionally, paint a picture for yourself as to who you’ll be competing with— but not to the point where it will make you feel insecure. It’s important to be aware of the competition and respond to it, but don’t feel defeated before you’ve even had a chance to show your potential.

4. Think outside the box.

If possible, show your individuality and uniqueness to your potential employer. For example, if you’re applying to a social media-oriented internship, provide a link to a professional social media account that you have (i.e., a photography blog or Twitter account). It’ll help your potential employer get a better sense of your personality and make you stand out from candidates who have identical job experiences and interests.

5. Don’t underestimate your potential.

At the end of the day, the job hunt isn’t easy for anyone. Though a rejection or two (or more) may get you down, it’s a key opportunity to work even harder. Create a Pinterest or physical inspiration board with motivational quotes to keep you going. Ask family and friends for career advice: they’ve probably not only been through the job search themselves, but they also know your abilities and aspirations on a more personal level.That being said, you know yourself best. Focus on yourself and try not to linger too much on the competition. Keep your goals in mind and your motivation going strong in your heart. The right opportunity will definitely show up if you’re working hard and actively seeking prospects. Good luck on finding that internship!

Varsha is currently a senior at UC Davis double majoring in Communication and Sociology. A Bay Area native, she relishes any opportunity to visit the beach and explore cities big and small. As an avid reader and writer, she hopes to utilize her passion for storytelling through a future career in PR. She is a self-proclaimed foodie and always enjoys a good cup of coffee. You can find her writing poems on the quad, reporting stories for AggieTV and daydreaming in the Arboretum, figuring out life as a 22 year old. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!