books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

5 Things We All Do Instead of Studying for Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, when I have 3 midterms, 2 papers due, coffee stains on multiple shirts, and multiple mental breakdowns all in the matter of one week. It must be nothing other than midterms season. But instead of sitting down to cram five weeks of material into a 2-day study session, sometimes it’s easier to do just about anything but study, such as:

1. Seriously questioning your life choices.

Midterms inspire us to question everything from how many units we decided to sign up for to choosing to go college in the first place. This self doubt further inspires us to research how to switch majors, late-drop classes, or maybe jobs that don’t require a college degree.

2. Using the “What If” GPA calculator instead of studying.

Honestly, if we all put as much time and effort into studying as we do trying to figure out the minimum work we have to do in order to pass, we would all get A’s…but that would make too much sense.

3. Stress eating

There’s nothing a good brownie (or five) can’t fix. When midterms come around, there always seems to be a copious amount of sweets and snacks close by. Reward yourself with yet another piece of pizza for getting through 10 pages of 150 page book.

4. Finally catching up on current events

… Only to realize the news is even scarier than the 3 midterms and 2 papers you have due in less than 72 hours.

Tbh, given the craziness that is the 2016 election and getting a WarnMe notification that there has been a creepy clown sighting in Davis… I’d rather study.   

5. Picking yourself up and sitting down to study because you realize you are fabulous and can do anything.

Despite all your procrastination there comes a time that you have to wipe the tears from your eyes, pull out that textbook, turn on your pump-up playlist and get to it.

Remember:

Sure, midterms suck, but they aren’t going to disappear (despite how much you might try to ignore them). But just when you think you aren’t going to make it remind yourself: you have made it this far, there’s no reason you can’t get through this too. And whether or not you pass all of your tests, life will go on. A test does not define who you are. You are more than a grade or a GPA… you are a person.

None of the images used belong to the author or Her Campus UC Davis.

Nikki is a senior at UC Davis, majoring in Community and Regional Development with a minor in Professional Writing. Apart from her classes, she spends her time walking backwards as a campus tour guide, advising future travelers at the UC Davis Study Abroad office, and fighting against domestic violence as an active member of Alpha Chi Omega. You can catch her sipping iced coffee at the CoHo, spending time with friends in the quad, or exploring the endless restaurants in downtown Davis.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!