This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As my freshman year comes to an end, I find myself appreciating UC Davis more and more. My first year has had its ups and downs, but overall, it’s been incredible. I met so many wonderful people, made lasting memories, and grew as a person. I am much more independent than I was in September, and have learned several lessons that helped make this year more enjoyable and memorable.

1. Get out of your comfort zone.

This is probably the most important thing I learned, but the hardest one to put into practice. I still struggle with forcing myself to step outside my comfort zone, but the times I have done it worked out extremely well. Whether it’s applying for an internship, trying out for a team, or introducing yourself to your neighbors, it is so important to do things you aren’t comfortable with. Awkward smiles or hellos in my dorm hallways turned into long conversations with some of my closest friends. Eating in the dining commons alone allowed me to learn how to rely on myself and enjoy my own company. Applying for clubs like Her Campus gave me a supportive community and a revived passion for writing. My most rewarding college experiences were with things that I was afraid to join or apply for, but I’m so glad I did. Getting outside your comfort zone makes you more confident and willing to take on challenges.

2. Family is so important.

I am really fortunate that I have a loving and supportive family that I’ve always been close to. College really made me realize how lucky I am to a greater extent because I had to start living without them. Phone calls, text messages, even tagging my brothers in funny things on Facebook makes me feel less alone when I really need them, and all the more excited to come home and see them. My family is my biggest support system, and I know I can always count on them.  

3. Take whatever classes you want.

Of course, take classes that are related to your major, but this is one of the only times in your life you can take classes that genuinely interest you. If you want to take Chemistry to satisfy your Science and Engineering GE, you can totally do that. But if you want to take Marine Biology or Nutrition, you can do that, too! In these past three quarters, I have taken classes about religion and race in drama and theater, astronomy, and how mental illnesses are portrayed in Oscar-winning movies. There are so many unique classes to take that cater to a wide variety of interests.  

4. The people are great.

One of the things that made me more comfortable and made me start feeling at home in Davis is the people. Almost everyone I’ve met has been so kind. I knew people were friendly, but I was not expecting Davis to be as open and welcoming as it is. My fellow students are so willing to help each other and it really creates a warm, happy environment. Even most of my professors and TAs are very approachable before and after class or during office hours, and ready to help in any way they can.

5. Davis is incredible.

I came here thinking it was a small town surrounded by farm land, but Davis is so much more than that. The campus is beautiful, from the Arboretum to the quad to the buildings. Walking around campus is so peaceful and calming. There are also so many events that add to my appreciation of the school, like Picnic Day and the Whole Earth Festival. One of my favorite memories from this year is performing on the Mondavi Center stage for Indian Student Association’s Culture Show and participating in the festival of color, Holi. Davis provides so many opportunities to make memories and truly enjoy your college experience.

Davis’s welcoming environment, friendly people, and amount of events ensures that you will find a place here, and you will have fun doing it.

None of the images used belong to the author or Her Campus UC Davis.

Thumbnail source: Pexels

Ravina is a second year Comparative Literature major at UC Davis. When not studying, she enjoys watching Brooklyn Nine Nine and rereading the Harry Potter series.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!