5 Reasons Why You Should Be Listening to The Skins Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Currently touring with DNCE on their national tour, The Skins are bringing their own take on pop/rock/hip-hop music to the stage. This Brooklyn based band has five members,  Bay Li (lead vocals), Kaya Nico (vocals & bass), Reef Cole (drums), Daisy Spencer (guitar), and Russ Chell (guitar & synth), all with unique sounds and sense of fashion. I was fortunate enough to watch them open up for DNCE and see what they were all about. Here are 5 reasons on why you should be listening to The Skins right now.

Source

1. They are not your typical over played artist/song on the radio.

The Skins’ songs are the complete opposite to the tunes you would typically hear on the radio. The Skins represent who they really are through their music, with a head-banging rhythm and chill beats. You can tell that they are not making the typical EDM beats to get instantly popular and on the radio. It is a breath of fresh air.

2. They will have something everyone can enjoy.

Although The Skins’ Facebook said they are a pop/rock/hip-hop group, I actually had a hard time categorizing their music after seeing them live. Their songs range from rock to slow indie to hip-hop. The group had a bit of everything in their music with high energy. 

3. They will inspire you to be who you are.

Just from looking at the band’s outfits, you can already tell that the band members dress for themselves and show the audience who they really are. The attitude and vibe the band gives off definitely encourages you to express yourself, whether it is through music, dress, or any form of art.

Source

4. They truly represent the edgy urban city life.

Both their music and fashion will have you thinking that you are walking through the streets of New York. Play their music while you walk down the street and you’ll start thinking you are in a photoshoot for American Apparel. 

5. They will encourage you to listen to new music.

The top three songs you need to listen to (now on Spotify) right now are Bury Me, Runaway, and Stampede. You will not regret it.

Cover photo courtesy of The Skin’s Facebook page.

Sarah is current first year Textiles and Clothing major at UC Davis. She discovered her love for blogging when she started her own personal lifestyle/fashion back in high school. The rest was history as soon as it blew up. On her free time, Sarah enjoys reading biographies and memoirs, catching up on popular culture, discovering new TV shows, and brunching. Sarah hopes to pursue a career in the retail industry involving marketing or merchandising.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!