element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Films to Get You into the Christmas Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Finally, the holidays have arrived! The holidays are a time to reconnect, create new resolutions, and most of all, spread love and cheer to family and friends alike. It’s a time of sweets, snow (for some), holiday tunes, hot drinks, and spending time with those you love. And what better way to spend time with family and friends than to watch a fun-for-all holiday movie? These five films are classics under the umbrella of the holiday genre encompassing everything from humor to life lessons.

Without further ado…

Scrooged

Scrooged is one of the many adaptions of the original tale A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. The movie takes a new spin on the original, following the story of Frank Cross who runs a TV station in New York city. After experiencing a rather unpleasant childhood, Frank grew into a grumpy man with no Christmas spirit. However, he is prone to change his negative attitude after receiving a visit from the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future. Humorous, with a bit of heart-warming emotion, Scrooged is definitely on our must-watch list!

Source: Flickr

Home Alone

Don’t be fooled by his cute face, eight-year old Kevin is quite the little trouble-maker who always has a trick up his sleeve. After realizing Kevin has been accidentally left home alone by his family during Christmas vacation, two burgulars think they have a shot at robbing the house. However, they soon come to realize, Kevin is more determined to protect his family than they thought. With hilarious stunts and great Christmas vibes, Home Alone can’t be missed.

Source: Flickr

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

If you thought you couldn’t possibly laugh anymore after the first two movies, think again. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation will have you rofl-ing … if that’s even a thing anymore. You’ll definitely get in more than a few laughs as the Griswold family tries to have a perfect Christmas. Unfortunately, fate has other plans for them and their Christmas turns into a collective disaster. We know you’ll have fun with this one!

Source: Flickr

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

The Grinch wants nothing more than to take Christmas joy away from every Who in Whoville. Does he succeed? You’ll have to watch to find out! While this Christmas favorite is commonly placed under the children’s stories genre, it’s enjoyed by all ages. Based off the of the Dr. Seuss book, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, it’s a family classic, showcasing the warmth and joy of the holidays and simple acts of kindness that can melt hearts.

Source: Flickr

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Only one of the many holiday-themed Charlie Brown stories out there, A Charlie Brown Christmas, follows well, Charlie Brown. Surrounded by the commercialism of his peers, Charlie Brown struggles to find the true meaning of Christmas. With jokes understood by both adults and children alike, this film can appeal to anyone. It’s definitely one of those movies you sit down to watch when your wrapping gifts or sipping some seasonal drink. Maybe you’ll even find yourself contemplating what the holidays really mean to you.

Source: Flickr

So, grab a blanket and whoever you spend your holidays with to watch some hilarious, rambunctious Christmas classics! Most of all, remember to be grateful and to spread as much love and cheer as you can.

Cover image source: Pexels

Drew Watson studies English at UC Davis. She enjoys reading young adult fantasy, listening to old school R&B, and watching cartoons! Drew is interested in a career in education, or editing/publishing after college, and is hoping to explore all of her options while at Davis.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!