5 Essential Items to Dress Like A Real Collegiate Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

So, you made it to college. Of course, we are all aware that this means a new standard of professionalism and class. Say goodbye to the Limited Too camisole that you’ve worn since you got your first pack of silly bands, and let me educate you on what a REAL college woman wears.

1. The Token Sweatshirt

She’s got an 8 a.m. class. She likes to wake up at 7:30.  She is all of us.

The Token Sweatshirt is there for her. This sweatshirt can have anything on it, really. It can be a classic UC Davis logo, a badge of honor from an extracurricular, printed with your favorite pop culture icon (mine has Kylo Ren), or whatever else strikes your fancy.

The only essential factor is that it is BIG. Several sizes too big, even. Why? Two obvious reasons come to my mind. Firstly, no bra is required if you just can’t manage to get to that drawer in time. Secondly, you can retreat into its sleeves like a turtle when the going gets tough and the midterms latch onto your psyche.

2. The Second-Skin Jeans

These are the jeans that you wear for days, maybe weeks, on end. They’re not necessarily stylish, but they’re trusty and get the job done, much like Velma from Scooby Doo.

If these jeans come off and dive into the washing machine, you either just accomplished every responsibility that you piled into your planner, or you have tossed that planner into the wash with them because you have given up completely. The Second-Skin Jeans know that you’re in this together. They won’t falter until finals week, when we all do.

3. The Effortless Sandals

Bending down to tie your shoes in the morning is truly a waste of time. In that minute, you could have grabbed an apple, read a passage from text, or even looked begrudgingly at your alarm clock for what feels like another millennium.

The point is this: sandals are easy. All you must do is fidget your foot in and you’re good to go! These might be flip-flops, “Jesus sandals,” or even sliders. All that matters is endurance and speed. These shoes will lift you up when you oversleep and need to exit your apartment approximately three minutes ago. You’ll need a pair of these shoes as much as you’ll need highlighters while attending college.

4. The Holy Onesie

It’s Saturday night and you’ve decided to stay at home. You’re all set for your first relaxing evening since the quarter began, but what shall you wear? Token Sweatshirt and Second-Skin Jeans have been working overtime for months. There’s no way you can make them work weekends too.

The solution is clear, children. Grab your Holy Onesie. We are a part of the luckiest generation of young adults. We are the young adults that get to experience Target’s adult-sized onesie department. For a solid price, you can transform into a giraffe, a dragon, a panda, or even your favorite cartoon character.

There is no feeling greater than that of being cocooned in an outfit that requires no adjusting. You don’t have to pull up your pants, smooth out your shirt, or fuss with an extra layer in a onesie. No, your onesie is there to comfort you when you need it most. Get ready for an evening of binge-watching while you embody the pink Power Ranger. You earned it.

5. A Smile

You’re only a college woman once. Take every moment as a memory and face the day with the best attitude you can muster up. Don’t sweat the small stuff and strive for happy. Happiness is the best accomplishment you can achieve in college.

*Images do not belong to Her Campus or the author. Thumbnail courtesy of Pexels.

Last named pronounced like "zucchini," a common summertime squash. University of California, Davis. English major and literature fiend. Proud member of Delta Delta Delta. Theatre kid. Standup comedienne.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!