jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day if You’re Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. While some of us may be groaning at the sudden sea of teddy bears and pink chocolate boxes in department stores, it may be the perfect time of the year to practice another type of love: self-love.

In the words of Tom Haverford from Parks and Recreation, I recommend that you “treat yo’ self”.

Not getting a dozen roses and your favorite box of chocolates on the 14th? Treat yo’ self. Don’t have someone to treat you out to dinner? Treat yo’ self. I think it’s generally important, whether you’re in a relationship or not, to always practice self-love and realize that your own happiness comes first and foremost.

Here are five ways you can have a great Valentine’s Day by yourself, for yourself:

1. Perfectly pampered

A great way you could show yourself some love? Showing your nails some love. There’s nothing like getting your hair, makeup or nails done to feel taken care of and beautiful. Freshen up your hair color or get a haircut. Get your nails done in that color you’ve been dying to try. Head into Sephora and try out a bold, new lipstick. Whatever you decide to do, be sure it makes you feel beautiful from the inside out.

2. Go shopping… said every girl ever.

Valentine’s Day, unfortunately, has become highly commercialized and has received a bad reputation for being a “materialistic” holiday. In essence, it is, but why not spoil yourself a little? It doesn’t have to be something splurge-worthy either, it could simply be a book or statement necklace you’ve had your eye on for a while. (Or it could be that designer purse you’ve also been eyeing, but we won’t go there right now). You can even make an impulsive trip to your favorite store and try out a new style or clothing item you wouldn’t have before! It’s all about spontaneity and feeling invincible. Just keep in mind your credit card isn’t invincible.

3. You are not alone — have a night out!

Gather up a group of your closest friends and make plans for the night! Whether your plans are catching a movie in theaters or dressing up for a nice dinner, your friends are guaranteed to keep you laughing throughout the night and feeling the love.

5. Or… have a low-key night in.Take this day as an extra day to unwind. Light some candles, put on your favorite music and indulge by ordering takeout or making your favorite food. Not only will you be able to avoid the hoards of couples that are out and about that night, but you’ll be able to have some much needed “me time” and perhaps watch “Mean Girls” for the 87th time.

Whatever you decide to do, let it be something that makes you feel truly happy! Valentine’s Day is just one day out of the year, but it’s a great time to kickstart a regular routine of days where you pamper yourself, look in the mirror and say, “You go, Glen Coco”.

Varsha is currently a senior at UC Davis double majoring in Communication and Sociology. A Bay Area native, she relishes any opportunity to visit the beach and explore cities big and small. As an avid reader and writer, she hopes to utilize her passion for storytelling through a future career in PR. She is a self-proclaimed foodie and always enjoys a good cup of coffee. You can find her writing poems on the quad, reporting stories for AggieTV and daydreaming in the Arboretum, figuring out life as a 22 year old. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!