This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Whenever I feel stressed or under the weather, I always turn to my favorite cozy games to help me unwind and decompress. Cozy games can be categorized as games that are low-stakes, relaxing, and comforting for players. For most gamers, cozy games help to provide comfort during tough times in their lives and also serve as a space for them to destress and relax after a long day. 

These games can span various genres, however, most well-known cozy games tend to be RPGs (roleplay games), open-world games, or simulators. Some defining hallmarks of cozy games are cute artwork, slow-paced gameplay, a wholesome storyline, calming music, and approachable game mechanics. The best part about cozy games is their inclusivity. They are perfect for all types of gamers, whether you’re a hardcore gamer, a casual gamer, or a non-gamer. As the winter quarter comes to a close and the spring quarter begins, I thought it would be apt for me to provide a few recommendations of my favorite cozy games to help you unwind as a new quarter of classes and work begins.

Stardew Valley

On the surface, Stardew Valley might appear to be a boring open-ended farming simulator but there’s much more than meets the eye in this widely-loved cozy game. In this game, you play as a character who has inherited your grandfather’s farm in Pelican Town, a charming and idyllic town full of quirky citizens who you can befriend (and also marry). As you learn more about what it takes to cultivate a successful farm through gentle gaming mechanics and immerse yourself in the local community through entertaining dialogue sequences, you also navigate the turbulent waters of corporate greed and capitalism. Will you side with the capitalistic corporation of Joja Corporation or support the small businesses of Pelican Town?

Now, I might be extremely biased toward this adorable farming simulator game (I’ve clocked nearly 300 hours of playtime on Steam) but I truly believe that it is one of the best cozy games out there, especially for beginners since you can go at your own pace in this game. 

Stardew Valley is available for purchase on Steam and is compatible with Windows and macOS. 

Calico 

If you have ever longed to own your own cat cafe, this game is for you! In Calico, you’re given the task of rebuilding the town’s cat cafe and turning it into a bustling business once more. You’re able to customize your character, interact with and befriend various cute animals, and decorate the cafe with furniture of various styles. There are also cooking minigames, and with each dish or pastry you make, you’re able to learn more about your fellow villagers and customers. Overall, this game is low-stress and low-stakes making for a cozy and relaxing gaming experience. 

This game is available for purchase on Steam and is compatible with Windows and macOS. 

Coffee Talk 

In this visual novel, you play a barista who owns a coffee shop in an alternate and fantasy-like version of Seattle that is home to orcs, elves, mermaids, and other fantastical creatures. As you brew and prepare hot drinks through entertaining and approachable minigames, you also listen to the concerns of your customers and help them through their troubles. Coffee Talk also features branching storylines, compelling characters,  and aesthetically pleasing artwork for the various drinks you make in the game (they also provide the recipes and ingredients for each drink!). The pixel art, soothing lo-fi background music, and simple gaming mechanics make Coffee Talk a perfect cozy game for beginners. 

Coffee Talk is available for purchase on Steam and is compatible with Windows and macOS. 

Unpacking

Unpacking is a pretty self-explanatory game. In this puzzle game, you unpack and arrange the various knick-knacks housed within the boxes in different rooms while gaining clues about the life of the person whose belongings you’re unpacking. With each different move, you learn more about this character’s life story as you navigate through different life events, such as moving in with a partner and learning what it takes to make a house a home. This game is slow-paced, meditative, and relaxing with a calming soundtrack and cute sound effects for each item you handle or place down. If you like satisfying puzzle games with cute artwork and intimate explorations of a character, I would highly recommend this game to you!

Cozy games are a great way to destress and chase away the troubles of your day by occupying your mind with wholesome characters, storylines, and adorable artwork. I hope you give one of these cozy games a chance!

Vivian is an English major at UC Davis. In her spare time, she enjoys watching Studio Ghibli movies, attempting new recipes she finds online, and fiercely debating strangers on the validity of pineapples on pizza.