The 4 Best Things about Davis in the Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Davis has great qualities every season of the year, but spring is especially exciting because of these four things:

1. The weather

After all the rain and gloom of winter quarter, Davis always redeems itself with some glorious sunshine throughout spring. With temperatures hovering between 70 and 80, Davis becomes a warm, sunny paradise. If you get super lucky, your TA might let you have your discussion section outside! 

2. Picnic Day

The highlight of the Davis calendar, Picnic Day, is chock-full of activities ranging from the family-friendly Doxie Derbie and chemistry department’s dry ice cream concoction, to the awesome kickbacks and great bar scene in Downtown Davis. The entire town goes full-out for this local event, held on April 16th this year. Be sure to check out all the booths on campus during the day and get some amazing food downtown at night! 

3. Road-trip opportunities

Spring is when everyone gets a little restless, so there are always groups of people looking to get away for the weekend. From Yosemite to San Francisco, you’ll always be able to find some friends who are willing to go on a little adventure! Spring is the best time to go exploring, and Davis is located oh-so-perfectly making short, one to two-hour road trips totally doable. Or you can find someone who’s driving on the ride-sharing page and go down to SoCal for some time on the beach!

4. Whole Earth Festival

While it may not be everyone’s scene, the hippie vibes of Whole Earth Festival are definitely something to look forward to in the spring. All sorts of vendors and fun people populate Davis’s main quads and you will always find new and interesting things to look at, buy, and eat. Stop by campus anytime during the weekend of May 6-8th to catch this unique local event! 

Davis always has a lot going on throughout spring quarter, but its beautiful sunny days and awesome events make the third term of the academic year the most fun of them all!

Mariana graduated from University of California, Davis in 2018 with bachelor's degrees in English and linguistics. She currently works as an editor for a biotechnology company in Seattle, WA.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!