3 Tips to Wake Up for an Early Lecture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

With it already being a few weeks into classes, it’s that time when you begin to notice less and less students attending their morning lectures. We all thought we escaped morning classes when we graduated from high school, but it’s rare that we actually do. When you come to this realization, you figure that you’ll deal with it just like how you dealt with it in high school. However, in college, it’s easy to let yoursel start skipping the early classes. Skipping class may feel good at the time, until you’re forced to catch up on homework, essays, projects, studying for midterms and finals, and you realize that you’ve hurt your academic career. So do yourself a favor and go to those classes! If you need help waking up, here are three suggestions!

1) Set Multiple Alarms: By choosing to set multiple alarms, you’re making sure that you’ll wake up in time for class. Most people tend to hear their first alarm, then actually shut it off, instead of hitting the snooze button — danger zone! If you make that mistake, having another alarm already set can act as your snooze button. Moreso, multiple alarms will annoy your roommate, which may lead to you responding to the first one to not be rude or your roommate waking you up. No matter which way it goes down, it will guarantee that you’ll be up and ready to tackle that early lecture.

2) Take a Shower the Night Before: People always say showering in the morning tends to wake them up, but it also takes up a good chunk of the morning. If you shower the night before, you can apply that good chunk of morning to sleeping in a little bit longer or even just laying in bed for a few more minutes to try to wake yourself up a bit more. It also takes out the stress of freak accidents happening, like your water being shut off, your roommate hogging the bathroom, running out of a product, or anything else that could make you late. And who wants to go to class without showering? Save yourself the time and anxiety by showering the night before.

3) Prepare Breakfast the Night Before: This may sound strange since breakfast is usually hot items like oatmeal or eggs. However, if you have an early class, just pour yourself a bowl of cereal or make yourself a bowl of fruit. Then, take your bowl of cereal and fruit, and leave it next to your bed. It’ll be nice when you wake up to just lay there on your phone, and munch on your breakfast—hardly any movement required right away. Or check out these quick breakfast ideas.

There you have it! Three easy tips to waking up in time for your morning lectures, which means there’s no excuse for skipping!

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!